What does everyone know about Blue Runners?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by feather leg farms, Sep 12, 2009.

1. feather leg farms

feather leg farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    I think I'm wanting some Blue Runner Ducks. Our friends are going to give us some blue runner duck eggs and figure i'd find out something about them first. The parents have some white in them as well.

I figured they could go in with my Mallards.

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Hi feather leg farms!

First thing you'll want to know is that those eggs won't hatch all blues. [​IMG] Blue crossed with blue produces, roughly: 25% black, 25% silver/splashed, 50% blue. Sometimes the percentage is way off--in my last hatch, I got 4 blacks and one blue, no silvers.

Other than that--Runners are cool. Blue is the prettiest color (in my humble opinion, lol). They'll go great with mallards. They produce lots of eggs. White is considered a fault in a colored Runner, but if you aren't planning to show I don't see that it's a big deal.

Good luck!

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    blue and the silver/lav and splash colors are really pretty, and they are so much fun to watch very comical. they are loud though, mine even quack on and off through out the night [​IMG] but so far no one has complaines, but in the winter with the leaves gone it may be a different ball game, none the less they are great and lay regularly and most blues lay greenish eggs which is fun [​IMG]

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Congrats! Dont know much about runners since all I have is one Ginormous drake, But I cant wait to see them when they hatch!!

5. DuckFanatic

DuckFanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    AZ
    Lavender/silver runner are the prettiest runner color in my opinion! [​IMG] I have one and she's lays olive color eggs that have faded slowly since her first egg. I went over to a friend's house today and found out that she has a pair, too [​IMG] I thought they were "rare" but I guess they aren't really...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    pics of her at the park I rescued her from-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    We have 1 blue runner that we rescued along with 2 black runners. We have 4 f/w runners and 4 mixes. I think runners are great! Unfortunately our blue runner ( a drake) has wry tail, so it's not one I would like to breed, but he makes a great pet!

7. feather leg farms

feather leg farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    Well thats great for all of you! I had possibly planned on showing my breeder ducks but maybe a baby here and there.

My male and female mallard,and the blue baby when I get the eggs.

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    DuckFanatic, your rescue looks so healthy and happy now [​IMG]

9. DuckFanatic

DuckFanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    AZ
    Quote:Thanks! [​IMG] She is such a dork and in my opion she has the most personality! She is always eating [​IMG] ... making up for all of the days she starved at the lake [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by