What does everyone think about gifts in a jar?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by billiebrat, Oct 21, 2008.

1. billiebrat

billiebrat Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    Altoona, PA
    I have been asked to start selling gifts in a jar for sale. I made a few for gifts last year and now people want me to make them for them this year. What is everyone's opinion? Is there a market other than the local people? Online? Ebay? Whereever?

2. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    They are very popular at craft fairs. Our local school has a Christmas fair where vendors set up and they seem to sell very well there.

3. Silly Chickens

Silly Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

We make them for gifts.....I suppose some people would buy them.

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I REALLY hope I don't offend anyone by saying this, but I have wanted to say it for so long!!! OMG I HATE those things. I really just assumed everyone did. [​IMG] Sorry

5. Tamidon

Tamidon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I thnk they're pretty to look at but never taste good when made.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    You must make the stuff first before mixing up a batch for gifts. That way you wont be giving away BAD tasting stuff away to friends!

I love those gifts in a jar and soups seems to be popular as well as the homemade hot chocolate mix. I make a big batch of those hot drink mixes and dole them out in the jars.

So again, when you buy those recipes for jar gifts, be sure to try them yourself! I sure did and boy, it was YUCK! Glad I have my own recipes from families that I can make a big batch and portion them all up and they loved it!

Good luck!

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I have always thought they were kinda cool, then I bought one made it and it was not very good, I did give one to my friends wife as a birthday gift but you have to give her directions to her own kitchen, hehe. the joke was on her I think she still has it. My DW says baking is an art, so getting something in a jar where you just add water and bake, Just not for me, but I think if you like them and they want them, great!! give what they want. good luck, hope it does well.

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    They are okay. Are you referring to the already baked things or the mixes? I give away some of my mixes so that the only thing they need to is add milk or water and eggs...then bake. I did make jam last year and the kids sold it for a school trip during the barter faire and so forth.

9. okcin06

okcin06 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2008
    I have bought them with great success, but I only get them from craft fairs and re-enactment type events. I have loved giving and recieving them as gifts and have two friends who have had great success in selling them at fairs locally and are branching out to the internet.

Sounds like you have a good mix already - since it is being requested. Best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by