What does everyone think of the egg carton method?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mathesonfarm, Jul 29, 2011.

1. mathesonfarm

mathesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    I am very interested in trying this but I am not really sure how to do it. I want to keep them in the turners for the first 18 days and then maybe, depending what I find out about it, put them in the cartons. How do they zip in the cartons? What happens if one pips on the wrong side? I had 1 pip on the small end of the egg during my last hatching. It hatched fne and is doing GREAT! Thanks, everybody!

2. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Quote:They just zip around the top of the egg perfect, dont know what to tell you about the wrong end, never had one to do that yet, But it works great for me.

3. mathesonfarm

mathesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    Quote:They just zip around the top of the egg perfect, dont know what to tell you about the wrong end, never had one to do that yet, But it works great for me.

So how exactly do you do it? I was reading that you cut holes in it, or at the bottom or something. Is that right? Im sorry, this may make me sound stupid, it's just that I have never heard of this until recently.

4. rebel yell

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    [​IMG]

Here is the carton wiyh the holes in the bottom, put the eggs in it pointed end down & thats it.

5. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    in my cabinet incubator I hatch in 2 1/2 dozen egg flats after a hatching I toss them away.....I get them from the local cafes...I know of no other way. in smaller bators cut the egg carton... but why do you cut the little holes out? is it for stabilty? I dont have that issue...it makes for a clean incubator

6. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    The holes are for air flow and with the foam cartons so condensation doesn't build up in the bottom.

7. mandelaykay

mandelaykay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    yes, what are the holes for? Is it in case the chicks ends up on the wrong side?

8. Theeggboxtoo

Theeggboxtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    I would like to do this for the whole incubation, i don't have a auto turner, how do i turn them? Would it work for duck eggs? does it give better hatch rates?

9. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    I was told by an old chicken farmer to never use foam egg cartens to even store eggs in that you want to set... he never gave a reason he just said dont do it...so I never have...those older people have forgotten more knowledge than we will ever learn from books I love to sit and listen to them....each tray in my incubator holds 2 2 1/2 dozen flats 3 trays that turn and one tray that doesnt turn... I love that old bator

10. rebel yell

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Quote:lean them against the wall of the bator.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by