1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What does facial color mean (shades of pink and red)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dawj, Jul 28, 2011.

1. dawj

dawj Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Central NH
    This is prob the wrong place to post this but I have noticed the girls facial colors seem to change from light pink on some days to a bright red on others. What does this mean are they like us and blush, get red faced mad, hot , cold etc...... Just wondering.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It means the onset of sexual maturity. My guess would be they are 15 weeks old.

3. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I have a BLRW and her comb/wattles seem to change by the moment, they will "redden up" when she is excited or angry. They are a lighter pink when she is resting or cold. More red when she's hot. Interesting topic!

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

It would be neat to get a definitive answer---

Mine have color changes too---from bright red, to almost white. Today, I was noticing, as they were panting and holding their wings out--- (105 degrees, and brutally hot, even the wind was hot)--- that the area around their eyes was almost white it was so light, and this morning, they were a nice cheery bright red. I was wondering if they were really in distress, and were about to pass out. Poor things. I wish this heat would subside.

The colors change faster than the onset of egg-laying color changes.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Ah... I understand better the question. Sorry, I do not have anything beyond speculation that would be helpful.

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I've found that my roo's faces turn bright red when their hormones are raging. This is usually in the morning during crowing contests [​IMG] or when the are dancing around for the girls. If I scratch their wattles, the red turns to almost white. I can always tell if I am going to get bitten by the color of their face.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Bright red means good health. Roosters with hormones raging cannot lie about health related signals in the eyes of hens and other roosters they may compete with. My hens when in best of condition have red combs, wattles and face. As laying progresses or hen commits to setting and rearing chicks her fleshy parts get pale. Birds carrying heavy parasite load (worms) or otherwise in poor condition will have light colored fleshy parts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by