1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What does Game mean.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Foghorn Rock, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Foghorn Rock

Foghorn Rock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    I see this term alot with different breeds of chickens.What exactly does it mean?I always just assumed it was the fighting roosters cause thats all I heard it refer too.

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    It is used several ways.

Game Birds are quail, pheasants, partridges, etc that are hunted for sport or game.

Game fowl are breeds of chickens that were bred or used for fighting.

Game or gameness or even gamey is usually descriptive of an aggressive bird. (For example: The rooster has a lot of game).

Many times, people won't say game fowl, they'll shorten it to game. So if someone asks what type of bird they have and someone answers saying a Game Cross or a game type, they are just saying that they think it is or related to a Gamefowl breed.

**Also, just because someone has Gamefowl, does not mean they are actively fighting. It is just the type or breed of chicken they have.

Hope that helps!

-Kim

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  3. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Good answer!

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG] Wow Wolf Kim I like that answer

5. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    I was trying to give a good all-round answer..

Glad it seemed to get the job done.

-Kim

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:I know lots of former, er, "gamesmen" here in S.Carolina. They all still raise games because that is what they know.
    I can get my pick of their runts any day.

The word we dare'nt utter is still going on, but now it's being done by folks who hail from the VERY Deep South (of the border).

7. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:I know lots of former, er, "gamesmen" here in S.Carolina. They all still raise games because that is what they know.
    I can get my pick of their runts any day.

The word we dare'nt utter is still going on, but now it's being done by folks who hail from the VERY Deep South (of the border).

I tried to keep that in mind when I wrote the post. I know of a few people who still participate in the "heritage" of the gamefowl. I couldn't explain "game" without talking about their "heritage", but I also wanted to clarify that not "everyone" who has gamefowl uses them for their original purpose.

-Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by