What does it mean when people say that the chicken 'talks'?

Well even the ones who don't have great personalities talk, look at me for instance
tongue.png
.....it is just them communicating to each other & you..... (if you have been good and not getting the silent treatment
smack.gif
)

Last edited:
I think it is the vocalizing they do...my girls sing when they are content and happy. My ameraucana buk buks with my daughter when she is talking to her.

How weird, I was thinking about this while I was putting my makeup on this morning!

If you listen carefully enough, you can understand what the chickens are "saying" by the sound. For example...as I was way late for work, putting on my makeup in the bathroom, I could hear my pullets (still in their cage, in the garage) peeping in a kind of.... uhh how to describe.... it's like a frantic sound they make, when they know it's morning and they're pacing in the cage because they want OUT and they want BREAKFAST NOW! lol. Then when you let them out, and fill their food bowl... and they're flapping around your ankles, they make a particular frenzied cheep that clearly states: "BREAKFAST! YAY! FOOOOOD!"

I could go on forever on the vocalizations of chickens. I'm sorry, I'm addicted lol.
gig.gif

punkbunny...exactly.

I just left the room to go the bathroom and they all started going off with the "Hey mom where are you? Come back?" They stopped as soon as I walked back in the room. hahahahahaha

Really? I'm trying to understand the sounds my chickens make. There's a sound that my rooster is always doing - hard to explain like a squeaking door? (It's really cute). And then he does a different one when a small birds fly overhead quickly, and that sounds more like a scream. So is this talking?

The other noises that he does sound like the typical noises people do when they are told to do a chicken. The Ba ba ba ba baaa, etc

Does anyone here speak chicken?
wink.png

Harriet my little silkie doesn't make any typical chicken sounds at all. The only noise she makes sounds like she is saying 'neuf' with a dogs squeaker toy stuck in her throat...don't think she's French unless she's listening to lingo tapes at night in her bed and just practising!
tongue.png

My chickens can sound like a hawk if they are suddenly alone. If I take the other hens away the one left alone will make this screach. As if it is panicked. Once returned to the other hens all is peep peep again. They also make loud chirps when they run low (not out mind you) on food or water. They convey the message clearly when you listen.

Hey thanks to everyone for sharing their chicken noises! It's so cute
smile.png

When our feral rooster was still alive, my kids and I all knew his danger call. Whenever we heard him make that particular loud vocalization, we would drop EVERYTHING and run outside to chase away a cat or be watchful of a hawk. I think he got so he knew we would watch his back.

Back
Top Bottom