1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What does it sound like when the yougin's start to try to crow????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mamahen2011, Apr 27, 2011.

1. mamahen2011

mamahen2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Michigan
    I think I may have heard one of the little ones trying to be a big-boy this afternoon but not sure. They are a bit over 4 weeks old I do believe (at least, we've had them for 4 weeks now). Is this about the age that they start trying to make those big-boy noises??? It sounded very strange and much different from the little peeps they've been making. [​IMG]

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    It is an odd funny sound. Kinda hoarse but high pitched. Sometimes they cut themselves off like their own sound scared them.

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    It sounds like a cartoon rooster crowing on helium through a papertowel roll, a sore throat, a wad of gum and a toothache while being chased by a bugbear and having stage-fright.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

"Errr ah....errr a eerk!" on a kazoo.

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:I wanna hear you say that in person!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

All of the above very accurate... think teen-age boy when his voice is changing... only a chicken.

7. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    All of the above. I discovered this 2 weeks ago when my little girl Mumbles started making those sounds. He doesnt do it every day but his attempts are hilarious to listen to. Sounds like someone has him by the throat! He is a sweet boy though. Hope he stays that way. I figure there are at least 2 more right behind him!

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Like they're being strangled [​IMG]

9. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Look it up on youtube. Thats what I just did! I wanted to see what it sounded like too! [​IMG]

10. infernoflower

infernoflower Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    I have one starting now that has the cadence of cock-a-doodle-doo without the "cock-a" part. The best part is, he hasn't figured out to open his mouth when he does it so it just sounds like he's humming really loud.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by