What does my hen have, what can I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RooksMom, Nov 3, 2014.

1. RooksMom

RooksMom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2014
    Harvey county Kansas
    One of my heads is being very listless, when I went to check on them this morning, she wandered off with the rest of them and hid under the rabbit hutch, when she was still there a couple hours later I went to check on her and her eyes are gunked shut and she is wheezing a little. Does anyone know what she has/what I can do? I would take a picture of her but I do not have a camera and I do not have a cell phone (cell phone is by choice)

If you need to ask clarifying questions, or have me check for something, I am more than willing to take a close look at her again.

right now I have seperated her from the other hens. I have an old dog house she likes to sleep in sometimes, I have put her in there, becuase she can't really see, she doesn't want to come out.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    My guess is that she has a respiratory disease. These are especially common during the wintertime. Her symptoms of swollen eyes and wheezing are two common symptoms.

You did the right thing isolating her from the other chickens. Respiratory diseases spread easily.

It can be hard to determine the correct treatment for a respiratory infection. If it is caused by a virus, antibiotics won't help. But, they can prevent a secondary bacterial infection from developing. For viral diseases, it is best to provide a bird with electrolytes, probiotics, keep it warm, and make sure it continues to eat.

The swollen eyes make me think that this is more likely a bacterial disease, such as Chronic Respiratory Disease or Coryza. I would start antibiotics, personally. Tylan50 is a good antibiotic to use for respiratory diseases. Other antibiotics that can be used are Terrramycin, Duramycin, or Baytril.

Keep in mind that respiratory diseases almost always make birds carriers of the disease, for life. Symptoms may seem to dissapear, but may return later due to stress. Many people choose to cull infected birds. It is your choice as to whether to treat, or cull.

Best wishes to you and your bird. Good luck!

3. RooksMom

RooksMom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2014
    Harvey county Kansas
    Thank you. I will try treatment first, she has been hiding under the rabbit hutch a lot lately, I am hoping that this is something because of that, if so, maybe it's just a reaction. I wiped her eyes with a warm cloth, and while she didn't like it, it did help some, she can open them both now.

None of the other birds seem to be having issues, one of them was coughing a couple of days ago, but since she has since stopped, I figured it was just something in her throat.

Thank you for the help. Do you know if I can get any of those at a local farm store, or do I have to take her to a vet or get them online?

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You should be able to get vitamins, electrolytes, and probiotics at a feed store. I've used electrolyes called Save-a-Chick and probiotics called Probios. You should also be able to find the antibiotics at a feed/farm store. Tylan50 can be a little harder to find (or at least, when I used it once, I had a hard time finding it), but it should be sold at a livestock supply store. You won't be able to find Baytril anywhere but by prescription at a vet. Many of these products are sold for cattle and other livestock, not specifically for chickens, so you may not find them in a chicken section.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by