What does post bumble foot surgery tissue look like?

CoriM

Crowing
Jun 6, 2019
I've got 3 ducks with bumble right now and I was trying to treat them topically but it looks like I'm going to have to start another soak/treat/wrap routine myself. Can you talk more about tricide dips and how you went about that? I'm open to trying some new techniques if you found something that seems to have worked well. How much do you make/how long do you soak etc?
Once I had success with a couple ducks who just had very tiny bumbles - not the big black scabs, or any swelling, and I just used a toothbrush with iodine and gave each bumble area a scrub a couple times a day, then kept them out of water for ten minutes. The bumbles healed up, but they were very small ones.

Galaxyfalcon

Songster
May 25, 2020
Eastern WA
Once I had success with a couple ducks who just had very tiny bumbles - not the big black scabs, or any swelling, and I just used a toothbrush with iodine and gave each bumble area a scrub a couple times a day, then kept them out of water for ten minutes. The bumbles healed up, but they were very small ones.

Okay that sounds pretty doable. 1 of the 3 ducks has very tiny bumble and the other two are more developed, I'm always surprised how quick it can flare up. I've started doing weekly (or sometimes multiple times a week) foot checks just to see how everyone is doing and try to catch some early.

Are you still treating your ducks with larger bumbles/scabs? I feel bad for my large Pekin since he is the one who keeps getting bumblefoot and he's so heavy it makes treatment hard. What does your current treatment look like for the larger sores? I'm trying to get the infection under control with my big boy at home but may need to take him to get antibiotics if he doesn't improve.

CoriM

Crowing
Jun 6, 2019
Yes, it sure can come on and progress quickly. I'm not treating anyone for bumble now, and haven't had a new case for about a year - knock on wood! But my pekin took about 9-10 months to get back to normal. I tried just about every treatment, except tricide neo. I did use the fish antibiotics once as well. My pekin got over the active infection pretty quickly, but a brown scab just kept growing back, with healthy tissue underneath, and her foot pad was very swollen. At one point I took her to the vet and he said it was maybe some calcifications in there that would never go away. He said he could do surgery to remove that, but it could come back. In the end the swelling went down and it all returned to normal, but obviously took forever and I thought it would never get better. It can be so hard with these pekins. I currently have TWO that are lame, not bumble, and no obvious reason.

Top Bottom