What does "scruffy" really look like?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AuburnChickenNewbies, Apr 25, 2011.

1. AuburnChickenNewbies

AuburnChickenNewbies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Okay, another couple of newbie questions. Probably stupid ones, but ??

Most of our now almost 3-week old chicks are getting feathers and losing their baby downy look. But our two black Astrolorps look really really scrawny. When they stretch our their necks it looks like there are bare patches. Is that normal? Everyone does seem to preen themselves a lot, pulling out the downy stuff and preening the new feathers.

Should I be watching for mites or something? Is this normal?

Also ... our two little RIR are sooo much smaller than the rest of the group -- 2 austrolorps, 2 ameraucanas, 2 buff orpingtons. Do some breeds just develop more slowly? These two spend far far more time sleeping near the heat lamp than do the others. I've watched them and they're eating and not getting trampled, but they're sure getting behind the rest of the bunch.

2. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    My australorps also had thin spots on their neck at that age. Even today, they stand much more tall over the other chicks with their necks out.

RIR are not huge chickens, the others you listed tend to be big full birds. I would not worry, they will catch up! I would not worry about preening either. Digging and scratching at their body...yes maybe. Chickens are very clean and will preen to keep their feathers nice and clean.

3. AuburnChickenNewbies

Apr 8, 2011
    Oh, okay! I feel better now!

Interesting about sizes. When we got them, the "description" on their brooders looked like they'd all mature at about the same size. 'Course they could've told me just about anything and I'd've believed it! [​IMG]

4. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    ALL my chicks were perfectly round, fluffy balls of same size fluff when I got them. But now as they are older, my Production Reds, and sex links are smaller (shorter, and not as 'full' looking) than my Barred Rocks, and Australorps. I have one Barred Rock who is super feisty, eats like a horse and she's noticeably smaller than the other Barred Rocks. They are like people, some are just shorter. LOL As long as everyone is eating, drinking and dropping lots of poo....try not to worry. [​IMG]

5. AuburnChickenNewbies

Apr 8, 2011
    YAY!! Well, so far so good I guess. The chickens are teaching me a LOT! [​IMG]

Thanks for the reassurance! lol

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by