1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What does swollen under the vent mean?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by taprock, May 11, 2011.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a production red who is about 10 months old. She has been laying since December. She has been mostly free range but eating some broiler mix. Today my son found her and commented she was trying to lay an egg and was soaking wet. It had rained so I said I would check later. I found her in the nest box. Tail feathers and vent area wet. She was hunched over and eyes closed. Her vent is moving like she wants to lay. There is a bulge just below her vent. Also a blood blister looking mark around a feather in the same area. I brought her in and soaked her in warm water thinking she might be egg bound. Checked her vent but cant feel anything. However I have no idea what I should be feeling. She did have some clear and creamy/frothy looking discharge - I don't know if it's poop or even a broken egg. She also was making noises from her vent area not so much a fart but sounded like a hiccup. I put her in the dog crate in the basement but not sure what else to do. I have pictures but I don't know if they help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Specifics: Where would I feel an egg? Below, above, farther inside the vent? What else can I do for her? How do I know if she is egg bound for sure, or is this symptoms of another condition?
    Any advice would be great! I just lost a different breed and age hen to prolapse two days ago! What am I doing wrong!!

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  2. taprock

She did drink a little and ate a little. She is still straining and watery clear and yellow discharge is coming out. She has a boiled egg smell - not sure how else to describe. I'm thinking maybe it is intestinal. Still not sure what to do. I'll go give her some yogurt with olive oil in it.

3. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Do you think the egg may have broken inside her?

4. taprock

There is no sign of egg shells and I couldn't feel anything. Strangely enough I also found a second hen (Polish about 9 months) in the same nest box acting the same way but she isn't swollen. I have no idea what is going on now.

5. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    That's very strange.

6. taprock

Well my Polish is doing better today. This is what I found this morning.
    [​IMG]

The Red seems the same although more alert.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by