What does the blood ring mean?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sweeterdeeter42, Apr 24, 2011.

1. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    What does the blood ring mean, other than I am not getting anything out of that egg? I have a turkey egg and a silkie egg right next to each other in the egg carton that have blood rings. Well, the turkey egg has a blood line, not really a ring, but obviously not developing like the other ones. Is there a factor that causes the ring, or is it just because of the stage that they quit in? The turkey egg quit long before the chicken egg, because the line has been there when there wasnt anything noticeable in the chicken egg. The other eggs around them are developing just fine. [​IMG]

2. caral07

caral07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Ruston Louisiana
    Usually the embryo has died. [​IMG]

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Blood rings or blood pooling happens when anything dies. When the hart stops pumping, the blood settles at one level. In people it pools in the lowest body parts. In eggs it floats in the egg settling at a set level an making the ring. Anyway, both are the effect of the hart stopping.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  4. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Ok, maybe I didnt word it right, I know that it means that it has died, but is there a reason that the ring shows up before the embryo shows up? ie. environmental/biological......etc. My ones that quit between 10 and 14 days did not have a blood ring.

Edited to add a smiley face so I dont sound like a poop. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  5. greening

greening Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    i had a blood ring too, but it went right down the middle of the egg and went all the way around. on both sides it was light but the line was like a quarter inch thick and it was really dark...so was it really a blood ring?

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Early on most of the blood is out being pumped around the egg. Later most is in the chick. Blood rings happen with both but its just easier to see in early deaths with less shadow in the eggs an more loose blood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by