What does the chicken song sound like?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pfewless, Nov 10, 2014.

1. pfewless

pfewless Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2014
    I have not had my first eggs yet but I am wondering if I am close. I have heard that they sing before they are just about to lay. What does the song sound like? Can anyone tell me in words? I have a white Leghorn that is walking around more like wandering around her run just kind of cooing in tune to her own music so to speak. She does not squat though when I go in to feed water or clean the coop. She is normally shy so I cant say I get all that close to her unless I have to catch her to check her out. Is the song different for differerent breeds? Different times of year? Is she just getting comfortable? She is not all red faced if that helps any.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Most of my birds lay in complete silence and make no call whatsoever. Keep that in mind.

On BYC, it might sometime appear that every female bird, universally makes calls at egg laying. It just isn't the case.

3. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    Mine go "bock bock bock bock Bigock!" rapidly, over and over while laying, and the others all act agitated during. I'm not sure if this is the laying song everyone refers too, but it's what mine do. I never think of it as a song, but more like labor pains heh.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Not every bird sings the egg song - I have Ida the Soprano, who thinks she is auditioning for the met. I have Cora, who goes on the nest just before the egg falls out and leaves before the egg has dried....each bird is different. I also have some who sing when Ida does, and I think they do it just for fun.

As for what it sounds like in words, well, if you've ever seen the musical "Oklahoma" and heard the song, "Surry with the Fringe on Top", I can tell you - It sounds like they are singing these two lines from that song -

Chicks and ducks and geese better scurry
    When I take you out in the surry.....

OVER AND OVER AGAIN! <sigh>

1 person likes this.
  5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The "egg song" is singing only to the ears of the chicken mamas who love them and their yummy eggs.

6. Quailsong

Quailsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    I thought you were joking about that quote bit. But I looked it over on YT and holy smokes, that's pretty much it. [​IMG]

7. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Yup!

8. pfewless

pfewless Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2014
    Yes Legs is singing this song. I pulled it up on you tube and that is it exactly. LOL so now I will just watch for an egg. Who would have ever guessed Surry with the fringe on top from Oklahoma the musical. Thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by