1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what does the "egg song" sound like?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Overeasyplz, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    I was wondering, is it the "buck buck buck bu-HUK!!" because sometimes the roo joins in and accentuates the song with his own concerned voice.. thought it was cute but didn't know it was an egg song..

2. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    LOL!
    I guess that's what people on here call the egg song.
    My ladies don't seem to make much noise before/during/after laying an egg.
    At our coop, the "buck buck buck bu-HUK!!" usually means that the favorite nesting boxes are full. I think it translates as,"Hurry up and lay already... it's my turn!"
    Once they get in there, they lay the egg and walk away without a sound.

3. cpartist

cpartist Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Alachua County FL
    Yep, that's the egg song. My son shot this video with his still camera (so it may not stream well on slower connections). They had been at this for ten minutes before he even rolled tape. The Rooster Rudy seems to lead the girls. If you listen closely you can hear a sound like a baby crying. I've since discovered that Rudy makes this sound while also singing. Chicken vocalization astounds me. This same roo imitates my laugh pretty darn good.

I've also heard them do this after sighting predators, so it may be a "glad that's over" song more than just the egg song.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  4. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Nice coop! And Welcome! Yea, I thought it was that, but never knew it was an egg song. I thought they were just making noise to liven up things!

5. Hamptons06

Hamptons06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    Quote:Great video! Nice coop!! [​IMG]

6. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    My chickens only ever made that song (from the video) when roosters were attacking the four new hens I introduced. That was the day I learned what "overmating" was. And heard hens crying...horrible!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by