What does the inside of a fertile chicken egg look like?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FrankieMcElfresh, Oct 21, 2011.

1. FrankieMcElfresh

FrankieMcElfresh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Ohio
    Can someone send me a pic of what inside a fertile chicken egg looks like, i hold my flashlight under my eggs i get everyday but im not sure what im looking for to know if its fertile, i do have a rooster and I have watched him ontop of my chickens that lay the eggs but im not sure, can someone help?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Now I don't know. I look at the picture and then at one of my eggs and I just don't see the little ring. If that is the fertile sign then my rooster is not the stud he thinks he is. but I will give him credit, he sure makes it looks he is. [​IMG] And I was considering incubating some of my GLW and EE hens eggs.[​IMG]

O well.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Keep looking and wait until you see the bullseye. All it takes is him to "connect" once and you'll have fertile eggs for a while. Hens can store rooster juice for 3 weeks.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If you do not see the blastoderm or bull's eye, gently turn the egg over. It may be hiding on the bottom. I use an spoon and try to be gentle.

6. FrankieMcElfresh

FrankieMcElfresh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:I did hold my flashlight under the egg and their was sort of a black circle about an 1inch wide and long at the bottom of the egg, could that be it?

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Gosh Frank. That sounds like the eggs rotten.[​IMG]

8. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Quote:I did hold my flashlight under the egg and their was sort of a black circle about an 1inch wide and long at the bottom of the egg, could that be it?

Are you looking at freshly laid eggs or ones that a hen has been sitting on?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by