What does this behavior mean?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yakmama, May 26, 2010.

1. yakmama

yakmama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    The South
    I took my 4 week old chicks outside for the first time yesterday and almost all of them immediately flopped over on their side and just lay there like they were dead. Some of them even closed their eyes. They were also panting. It was only in the 70s yesterday- not too hot. I don't have any idea why they do this! (They were fine as soon as I put them back in their brooder, BTW). Do I have spoiled chicks that will never want to go outside!?

Getting ready to fall:

[​IMG]

Flopped over:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Not to worry- they were just sunbathing and relaxing and enjoying their outing. It is rather disconcerting when you first see it- I once went out and thought I had 5 dead hens!

3. tiffinimarie

tiffinimarie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Yep, they were sunbathing. I freaked out the first time I saw it too!

Tiffini

4. Foleys

Foleys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    Quote:Very cute chicks u have their

5. LadyWoodsong

LadyWoodsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Midwest
    OMG! I'm glad I read this post 'cuz I am going to let my young chickens out today after work for the first time.....if I saw them do this I probably would've freaked out too! lol How cute....[​IMG]

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Awwwwww. Too cute!

7. yakmama

yakmama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    The South
    shewww... I am REALLY glad to hear it's normal! [​IMG]

8. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    [​IMG] Yep, sunbathing!! Sometimes they'll stretch out both legs and/or a wing, too! Looks like chick paralysis!

9. Backyard_Chicken_rancher

Backyard_Chicken_rancher Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] A sunbathing freak out Yep we have all been there, My first time I thought something had killed them all when my back was turned I started to scoop them up and they jumped up like Hey we were sunbathing here and when I put them back down they went right back to it. Once you know what it is it is quite funny to watch them you can your friends My chickens can play dead watch..... lol I did that to my friends and laughed when they really thought I taught them how to.

10. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    You have very happy chickens! Sunbathing is my girl's favorite activity and it only gets more hilarious looking the older they get.

Exhibit A:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by