1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What does this look like to you ××pics××

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chris383, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Chris383

Chris383 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not the best quality, I know. My silkie looks like it has light yellowish crud on her feet and up her legs. I thought leg mites but her scales aren't really raised at all. It's the worst on the bottom of its feet.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like scaly leg mites to me. I would soak her legs in warm soapy water once a week, then gently loosen any scales with a toothbrush. After drying, apply a coat of castor oil, vaseline, or vegetable oil rubbing into and under the scales. Do this for several weeks until you see new scales growing in. Leg mites can eventually cause toes to fall off. Here are pictures of leg mites:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. chridavi20

chridavi20 New Egg

Feb 19, 2016
    it is definitely leg mites I would go to the gas station and get a gallon or two of regular gas and soak her legs in it for 5 min in 5 min out for 30 min and when done with each 5 min in rinse with lukewarm water and let soak in gas for another 5 min and coat legs with a good layer of vaseline and to every 2 days for a week and u can use the same gas. kills mites easily just make sure not to get anything but her legs for the whole 5 min. [​IMG][​IMG]

4. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    This is much better for her.

I cannot and will not recommend anyone put a flammable liquid on a living creature. This looks to me like a good way to lose a chicken.

1 person likes this.
  5. Chris383

Sep 5, 2015
    I did soak her for about 10 minutes in Luke warm water then covered each leg with olive oil. She was acting very strange after that. She went and hid by he self in a nest box she is never in. I hope I just stressed her a bit. I'm working over night so I guess I'll see in the morning

6. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Most likely just stressed out. The oil will need to be reapplied of course so she will be traumatized again. It will get easier for her to accept each time so should be less stressful on you as well.

Probably thought you were oiling her up for the roasting pot lol. [​IMG]

How is she today?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  7. Chris383

Sep 5, 2015
    Unfortunately she passed away this morning in my arms :(

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I am so sorry for your loss. Have you checked your other hens to see if they have shared the mites? If they have, please don't use anything on their legs besides soap, water and a soothing oil.

9. Chris383

Sep 5, 2015
    I put a mixture of olive oil (a shot glass full) with 3 drops of tea tree oil. I believe the tea tree oil killed her :(

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

You really cannot improve on just plain oil. My favorite oil to use is baby oil, I like the smell. I use it once a week by dipping the chicken's legs all the way up to wear feathers start.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by