What does this mean?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by S*T*A*R, Oct 23, 2010.

1. S*T*A*R

S*T*A*R Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    Some of the eggs i have cracked open have a little dot on the yolk. Does this mean they're fertilized?

2. ImStillMags

ImStillMags Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    S*T*A*R :

Some of the eggs i have cracked open have a little dot on the yolk. Does this mean they're fertilized?

It's a fairly common thing, in fertile or unfertile eggs. They are perfectly safe to eat.
    Blood spots occur when blood or a bit of tissue is released along with a yolk. Each developing yolk in a hen's ovary is enclosed in a sack containing blood vessels that supply yolk building substances. When the yolk is mature, it is normally released from the only area of the yolk sac, called the "stigma" or "suture line", that is free of blood vessels. Occasionally, the yolk sac ruptures at some other point, causing blood vessels to break and blood to appear on the yolk or in the white. As an egg ages, the blood spot becomes paler, so a bright blood spot is a sign that the egg is fresh.​

3. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    If it is a white small circle yes it is called bulls eye and that means it is fertilized but still safe to eat. It won't mature in the fridge to cold and without heat.

4. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    All eggs have the white spot- it is the actual egg-cell that needs to be fertilised. The yolk is there to feed the developing embryo. The egg is NOT fertile if you dont have a roo, the white spot would look different if it was fertile.

BYW, while an egg wont develop in the fridge if it is fertile, it is possible to hatch a fertile egg that has been refrigerated for a short time.

5. S*T*A*R

Oct 3, 2010
    Ok thanks!

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
  7. S*T*A*R

Oct 3, 2010
    Quote:THANKS!! That helped ALOT!