What does this poop mean?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katelk, Mar 12, 2015.

1. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    One of my girls has been having green poops for awhile. The poops are totally normal, not watery or anything, but they have a significant green tint. The white cap is not tinted. The last time they got any green treats was a couple of weeks ago. Eating normal and no odd behaviors. Any ideas?

2. chickenpatch

chickenpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    Do they each much grass?

It may be a worm problem, so I recommend worming your chooks, this should be done about every 6 months. But if your girls are wormed and non-lethargic then she should be fine. Just keep an eye on her, how long has being pooping like this? Is it a significantly green?

3. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN

Ok I was wondering if maybe worms could cause this. I was planning on worming them for the first time on Saturday when I had time to wrangle them all. She is less than a year old. I am under the impression that Valbazen is a good first time wormer.
    If she is having green poop due to worms, does that mean they are really bad or what?

4. chickenpatch

chickenpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    Simply buy a poultry wormer, make sure it is wide range.

If she does have worms and green poop is a symptom, then yes, it means the worms are in significant numbers and need serious treatment. If the green poop goes away after worming, then thats a good sign. Be sure to worm your whole flock. If nothing improves, consider changes their diet of grains, what do they eat? (pellets, grain, seed, sorghum free)

Let me know how everything goes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by