What does "typy" mean?????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Wyogirl, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    I keep reading the word typy, what actually does it mean? [​IMG]
    Thanks
    Ayda

2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    It means that the bird has a body shape that is very close to or exactly like the standard for that breed. Typy is kind of like a slang word. It means that the bird has "nice type".

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  3. Jake Levi

Jake Levi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    Harrisville, MI
    Usually the standard, if there is one, refers to a brick type or square type body, a few want a more stretched upstanding appearance, it very much depends on the breed of chicken. The SOP is supposed to be used for judging all breeds, sometimes the judges put in their own thoughts on what should be contrary to the SOP.

4. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:Agreed. Basically, it means your Brahma looks like a Brahma, instead of resembling a Leghorn. Just examples, the bird looks like the "type" it is supposed to look like.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    "Typy" means that the animal has the essence of what constitutes that breed. If a Silkie is typy, your first reaction when you look at it is "Wow, now that's a silkie!".

If you look at a Pomeranian goose that is typy, you should think "Now that's what Pomeranian should look like!"

It is mostly closely meeting the SOP, but it also involves attitude. With birds, it involves being able to meet it's intended purpose. If I have a table breed, it should look like it will be plump and meaty on the table. If it is a laying bird, it should look like it puts it's energy into eggs instead of fat.

The attitude should be proper for it's breed. A fighting game who laid around on his back begging every passerby to scratch his tummy isn't typy (although he is a doll). A game should be high headed and giving the stink eye to the roosters around him. Pride is part of his type; it's essential. A Pekin duck, on the other hand, should be calm and easy going and maybe hoping someone will slip him some popcorn. That alertness is wrong for Pekin type. It isn't essence of Pekin.

6. Wyogirl

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Thank you!! Where would I be able to read about standards for my hens, orpingtons and silkies??
    Ayda

7. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    You need to buy the American Standard of Perfection for Poultry. You can buy it on the APA website. Or you might find the standard for those two breeds online if you do a search, perhaps on the breed club websites.

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The American Standard of Perfection is well worth the money to buy it. It is a lovely book with the most beautiful color plates.

It is well made to withstand a lot of use and has a stitched binding. I am opening mine to look something up nearly every day.

The only trouble is it is full of pictures of breeds that you will want to own as soon as you see them. Also, be sure to get the 2010 edition which is the newest one with the nice artwork. Although, you might be able to pick up one of the older editions for very cheap, since they are out of date. Most of the breed standards haven't changed.

9. Wyogirl

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Thank you. I will order the book today. I am also going to look at becoming a member of the Poultry association:)
    Ayda

10. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    Typical

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by