what does your oyster shell and grit feeder look like?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by l'abeille, Dec 16, 2009.

1. l'abeille

l'abeille Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    I tried putting out little bowls of oyster shell and grit. The bowls are upside down and who knows where the contents went. What do you use to offer these?

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Right now I'm currently using a two-bowled tip-proof cat feeder. It works sorta ok, but I'm probably gonna figure somethin else out.

3. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    I use those small metal baby pig feeders, they are open topped but you can modify and make a lid for them to keep poop out. I put mine on top of cement blocks in the coop and they stay just fine and don't have to be filled as often as bowls. They don't tip them over, I've used them 3 yrs now.

4. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I use heavy little crocks that I found on sale in the pet (dog and cat mostly) section of our local Fred Meyer store. They are short enough, and heavy enough that they are difficult for the birds to tip over. Every once in awhile someone does, but it's pretty rare.

Christina

5. Kerjack

Kerjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Uh I was mixing the oyster shell into their feed, is that bad?

6. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Mine look suspiciously like the small plastic feeders I started the chicks with back in April.

They don't tip over when they're full of oyster shell or grit.

7. DeGriz

DeGriz Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    Poway, CA.
    l'abeille :

I tried putting out little bowls of oyster shell and grit. The bowls are upside down and who knows where the contents went. What do you use to offer these?

Someone on BYC posted something similar for use as a waterer.

I made these from 3" pvc sewer pipe for about $8.00 each.

(1) tube
    (1) 90 degree coupling
    (1) 45 degree coupling
    (1) Cap

[​IMG]

There are some small holes drilled in the bottom section to drain rainwater where the grit/shell comes out. Mounted with zip ties, but could easily be mounted with screws.

Easy fill from the top.​

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  8. GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Henry, TN
    Empty tuna cans nailed to a stud. Grit in same. So small they can't sit and poop in it, ya know how small the tuna cans are now a days.

9. MimiChick

MimiChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Glocester, RI
    Since I only have 4 chickens, I use the small plastic cage cups (about 2 x 4) that you get at the pet store for both grit and oyster shell. They hang right on the wire of the coop, at about back height for the birds, so they don't get tipped over. They only cost a couple of dollars each and work great. I actually bought several so I would have some for my hospital cage too. They are too small to perch on and being on the side of the coop they don't get pooped in either. I placed them near the hanging feeder and the girls just get what they want whenever they need it.

10. l'abeille

l'abeille Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    thanks for all the great ideas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by