what does your vet charge?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gingerpeach22, Aug 14, 2011.

1. gingerpeach22

gingerpeach22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Fairbanks
    I had a chicken put down by the vet and the bill was $90.00 which seems very high. Anyone else want to chime in?

2. fmizula

fmizula Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    holy jees!!! that is insain. i cant say id had a vet do that before but wow. you could have just dont it yourself for free and bought a million more chickens

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:No offense, but I think the fact that the OP brought the bird to the vet says alot about how much they couldn't do it themselves or wanted or wanting to replace it. That is not to say those folks who do take care of euthanizing themselves don't care less-I do it myself because of vet charges and the emotional pain is worse when it's at your own hands. replacing is that last thought in someones mind when they love that certain animal.... I'm sorry OP [​IMG] My vet ( an hour away) would charge 75$

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Honestly, if I had a vet that would do it for say $20 I'd be tempted to bring my chickens to the vet. But for $90, I'd bite the bullet and do it myself (and have.. [​IMG]) That said, it's nice that you have a vet that would do it at all! I think mine would look at me like I had a third head.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I would of called around to compare prices. I'm so sorry you had to put your hen down.[​IMG] If my dh and I need to put down a bird, we'd bring her in the vet also. This isn't something we can do on our own.[​IMG]

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

My vets are expensive, even by Seattle standards. I don't know how to compare cat surgery to chicken care. I have never had a chicken needing vet care. But I can't seem to get out of the office for less than $200, for anything. They do offer inexpensive vaccinationns. Bring in the animal hand it over to a tech. Get the shot and you are out of there for the cost of the shot. No visit or exam. They do offer different quotes, such as if a cat is having surgery you get the option of pain pills for say $30 or a Fentanol patch fot $50. My vets do not treat chickens but there are at least 2 avian vets close to me, and several more within 30 miles.

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by