What dose he have or is this normal?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3, Nov 18, 2011.

1. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    My Roo Funkey, shakes his head but not all the time throughout the day but maby 1-3 times. I can hear his breathing sometimes. He has dirty butt. Is he ok or these symptoms of something. I really don't want to lose him he is verry sweet.

2. ChirpNEggBaby

ChirpNEggBaby Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    West Central, FL
    When in doubt...antibiotics! All of that is normal....and all of what you mentioned can also be symtoms of something depending on the severity.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:No offense, but that is terrible advice. Antibiotic usage carries its own risks and should never be undertaken lightly. Antibiotic usage can disrupt the natural balance of the GI system to such an extent that it in itself proves dangerous or fatal. Irresponsible and unnecessary antibiotic usage is why we have bacteria that are much more resistant to treatment these days; a situation that could eventually prove to be detrimental to mammals and birds everywhere.

To the OP- Might I recommend you give Mr. Funkey a bath? You can clean the poop off his butt and check him over for bugs. I doubt he has them, but head shaking can sometimes be a sign of them. The head shaking is usually pretty pronounced in cases of bugs, though. As far as the breathing goes- unless you actually see some sign of an actual problem I would not treat the bird. "I can hear his breathing sometimes" is not really indicative of a problem. Is he wheezing, gasping, gurgling, panting heavily? Those are signs of a problem. Any one of those and I might reconsider my advice not to treat.

Good luck.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Look in his ears for mites. They look like pepper. If you see some, then put a couple drops of vegetable oil in each ear.

5. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Are the ears the dots? [​IMG]

6. indi

indi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    I was told by my granddad that a mudbath can get ridof most parasites. Maybe you should see if you can find some dry dusty mud and see if he will have a mud/dust bath!

Sometimes mixing the mud with your hand will encourage them!! Good Luck!!![​IMG]

7. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Thanks guys [​IMG]

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:No offense, but that is terrible advice. Antibiotic usage carries its own risks and should never be undertaken lightly. Antibiotic usage can disrupt the natural balance of the GI system to such an extent that it in itself proves dangerous or fatal. Irresponsible and unnecessary antibiotic usage is why we have bacteria that are much more resistant to treatment these days; a situation that could eventually prove to be detrimental to mammals and birds everywhere.

To the OP- Might I recommend you give Mr. Funkey a bath? You can clean the poop off his butt and check him over for bugs. I doubt he has them, but head shaking can sometimes be a sign of them. The head shaking is usually pretty pronounced in cases of bugs, though. As far as the breathing goes- unless you actually see some sign of an actual problem I would not treat the bird. "I can hear his breathing sometimes" is not really indicative of a problem. Is he wheezing, gasping, gurgling, panting heavily? Those are signs of a problem. Any one of those and I might reconsider my advice not to treat.

Good luck.

AGREE!

Bathe first, dry with hair dryer (he'll really like that). Antibiotics ONLY if indicated. Research chicken anatomy and you can learn all about the parts of the chicken including the ear-holes and all those other hidden things. A head shake 1-3 times a day is normal. Being able to hear the breathing sometimes is not necessarily abnormal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by