What dual purpose breeds eat to much?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Delmar, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

I was given a pair of pullets that I am told are a Easter Egger/Wyandotte mix. They are just about 20 weeks old and not laying yet, but I notice that they eat more than my Easter Egger, RI Red and Barred Rocks that have been laying for a while. Does the average Wyandotte eat more than other breeds?

What other dual purpose breeds tend to eat to much? What breeds are known for making more efficient use of feed?

2. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    My Sexlinks and heritage buff orps go through a lot of feed, leghorns are efficient.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

A large bodied fowl has to eat more, normally, just to maintain their body weight. A 7 pound Speckled Sussex or New Hampshire simply eats more than a Leghorn and even a noticeable amount more than 4 1/2 pound ISA Brown. The Black Sex Link, being large, also eats more. Data on feed consumption to POL, consumption for 1st year, etc is available on the ISA/Hendrix/Bovan/DeKalb website for their commercial strains. Such hard data is harder to find on other breeds, but might be available through State Ag University Extension dept. Hope you find some solid data for your question.

4. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Are Wyandottes normally bigger than the other breeds listed in the OP? These girls certainly are taller!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by