1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Duck is the calmest nature?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AnDrEw&Cole, Jul 10, 2011.

1. AnDrEw&Cole

AnDrEw&Cole Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    I want to know which duck is the calmest in nature the Buff orpington or Cayuga? Thanks!

15, Chickens, 2 White pekin ducks, 2 Mallards, 1 Black Swedish, 2 Chow dogs, 1 Teacup Chihauhau [​IMG]

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I have not had either of those breeds, but I have always thought muscovies were very calm. I have never had a spazzy or wild one.........always very sweet.

3. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    That's a toss up... both are very calm. However, each duck is an individual and you may end up with an unusually spastic duck.

Of all the ducks I've ever met, my Muscovy are the absolute most zen creatures in the yard. I pretty much have to step over them if they're in my path - LOL!

AnDrEw&Cole :

I want to know which duck is the calmest in nature the Buff orpington or Cayuga? Thanks!

15, Chickens, 2 White pekin ducks, 2 Mallards, 1 Black Swedish, 2 Chow dogs, 1 Teacup Chihauhau [​IMG]

4. jwoo

jwoo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    United States
    You know what's weird? All my ducks that were raised together are super calm. Three different varieties and they all have the same calm nature. They aren't noisy and all come running when they see me (TREATS!). I have two Cayuga, a Rouen, and two Swedish. Personality wise they are all pretty much identical. I think alot of it comes down to the individual ducks.

5. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:Yes, I have a group of 15 Cayuga ducklings that are in with 4 Runner ducklings and the Runner's nervous nature has worn off on all the Cayuga's. So they all run peeping like mad and cram into the corner when I come anywhere near their pen. My older Cayuga's are so calm that they eat right out of my hands - worms are their favorites. And if my hand is empty, they run their bills all around my palm nibbling just to make sure they didn't miss one!

Even my grown Runners are fairly calm because they were raised with the geese so it's very individual when you try to determine personality. But Cayuga's tend to be very calm on the whole.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by