What duck should I get?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Crazy4Fowl, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Crazy4Fowl

Crazy4Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    Hello I was going to get Golden 300 Hybrid Layer Ducks because we want a lot of eggs. We were going to get 2-4. I saw the khaki cambells lay a lot too. I want a duck that is really friendly and lays a decent amount of eggs. I know call ducks are really cute but how much eggs do they lay a year? I heard its 25-75 (not enough). We also have 8 chickens if that matters. We will most likely make a separate coop for the ducks. Also should I get a drake or will it be a waste of money to fed it. I was hoping to get ducklings from them.

Thanks, Crazy4Fowl

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have read that Khakis and Golden 300s are good layers. I know my Runners are, and my Buff ducks as well.

If you want to have ducklings, ya gotta have a drake, but hatching brings its own burdens. At the same time, some people just have a gift for hatching and from what I read, it's difficult for some of them to limit how many they hatch.

Please look over some of the threads where folks get into trouble. I do not want to discourage you, but I want you to know ahead of time some of the things that can cause problems, so you can anticipate them and have contact with some hatching buddies beforehand.

3. Crazy4Fowl

Crazy4Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    Thanks for the great info and I will check before we purchase so we don't get a drake. Thanks

Crazy4Fowl [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by