1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What ducks can successfully breed with call ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Poultrylord, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Poultrylord

Poultrylord Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    Hollis Center, Maine
    I would like to know just because I might get a larger drake.

2. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Pretty much any breed. But I wouldn't recommend it. Larger breeds (especially if you get out of the bantam or light classes of ducks) can be too large to safely mate with a call duck female. They can crush them causing lameness, broken bones, and even death. There is a higher risk of a larger drake drowning them if water is readily available too

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

My Welsh breeds my Call Hens without any issues...No injuries.....

Cheers.

4. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Chickens really,

I see you mention this kind of stuff all the time, but this is just your case, most other people have problems with their birds getting hurt.

I am very happy that it works for you, and i know that you are just giving your experience, which I respect tremendously, but the fact is that most of the time larger birds hurt call ducks in the process of mating. Larger ducks in general can severely hurt call ducks just in everyday activity.

Again i am very happy that it has worked out for you, but in most cases larger ducks and the smaller bantam breeds shouldn't be paired together.

5. chickens really

Sorry, I will not mention it again.....Did not mean to ruffle feathers......yes, it works for me......not my intentions to harm any Ducks......

Cheers!

6. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    No no, i didnt mean any ill intent by what i said, just trying to give advice so that no duckies would get hurt.

7. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    it also depends on the size of the call, some are larger but i, like @learycow would keep them with their own breed

8. chickens really

Okay, Thank you.....my point though, it can work without issue. ......Anyways, I love Ducks to a fault and I agree with you, I would hate for Ducks to be injured because I posted that keeping Calls with big Ducks works......

Thanks....cheers to you.....

9. Poultrylord

Poultrylord Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    Hollis Center, Maine
    So, I heard about bouncer, did you find out what he or she is yet? So I should not cross calls with anything bigger than a welsh harlequin drake, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by