1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What ducks hatch eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZoeS95423, May 17, 2011.

1. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    What kind of ducks are very good at becoming broody, and known to be good mothers? Right now my black swedish i laying eggs in her nest, so im hoping that she is going to become broody once she lays more eggs. So what breeds do you find the best at becoming broody?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I can't say I know from experience - I have an all-girl flock.

But from what I have read here, there can be surprises. Some ducks turn out to be pretty good moms, others, not so good. Close observation seems to be key, being prepared to grab eggs or hatchlings and incubate or brood them if needed is important.

Chrissy was a runner who turned out to be a good mom, if I recall correctly (Wifezilla's duck). And I've seen some good reports about muscovies. I think some people have a broody chicken help out. One author whose work I've read has said that he keeps and breeds the broodier runner ducks and over several generations now has some broody runners that are good mothers.

I hope some more experienced breeders chime in. It seems most people who breed have electronic incubators.

3. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Muscovys are notoriously good at both brooding and mothering. My runners are good broodies but not good moms. My mom who is mixed runner and ruen was real good at both. I think it usually depends on the individual duck, but muscovys are better than most.

4. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

My Golden Cascade is a good mom she hatched 7 ducklings which are now 2weeks old. She left 4 eggs in the nest, 1 wasn't fertile & the 3 eggs i incubated & hatched. But she keeps them brats of hers in line. lol ~Julie~

5. gretchenhau

gretchenhau Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Lebanon Ohio
    My silkie hatch and raised 4 pekin ducks. Don't mess with her babies no matter what they are, and this year she took over 2 4 day old chicks when mom died for no reason.

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Check out Dave Holderread's book, of course--he has a breeds listing that shows mothering ability among other things. Very good stuff.

Off the top of my head, I second the muscovy suggestion--there is a feral one on our pond that raises several batches of babies every year without assistance and despite great odds against her. Among mallard-derivative breeds, I have read that welsh harlequins can be okay at it, as well as pekins. Of course, you can also get a broody chicken breed and use them to incubate ducklings. But personally, I'm thinking of getting a muscovy girl and letting her do my mothering each year.

7. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Have you hatched out any babies this year yet or are you not going to.

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Nope, none so far this year. We've had kind of a strange spring for some very personal reasons. And I haven't had the energy to separate the breeds, and don't want to raise mutts. So I just haven't hatched. I do want to hatch at least one batch this year though. Maybe in a few weeks... [​IMG]

9. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Okay, thanks everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by