1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Ducks May eat? [ Will They eat creatures in pond?]

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duck-Madx, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Duck-Madx

Duck-Madx Out Of The Brooder

I was wondering about a certain thing.
    We have another pond, which will not be used for ducks to swim on, but they might often decide the ducks want too, hehe:p
    But in That pond we have many creatures like newts, frogs etc in there, and where wondering if the ducks would eat them.
    I really hope not. Thanks.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Im not sure if it depends one the type of duck....but I have Muscovy Ducks....just this morning, I went out to feed Mrs Thang...on her nest...and I found...well....a not so good looking bullfrog...in pieces. I am sure the bigger drakes got a hold of him.

3. Mike_Winters

Mike_Winters Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2007
    Connecticut
    if it moves and can be swallowed whole or butchered and swallowed then of course ducks are omnivores

4. Duck-Madx

Duck-Madx Out Of The Brooder

Hmm Ok. We Might have to cut off that pond then from the ducks, the rest of the family do enjoy looking out for a frog or too.

5. SkeeredChicken

SkeeredChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Duck-Madx, is ur avatar a personal pic or some other? If it's a personal, what breed of duck is it?

thanx

6. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Of course the ducks will [​IMG]

I dont have a pond, but a kiddie pool and I will put feeder fish in there for them, they really enjoy it.

7. Blue Rooster

Blue Rooster Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2014
    I definitely know that they eat frogs, I've seen it. Yuck![​IMG]

8. enriquec

enriquec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    North Florida
    I'm pretty sure they eat any and everything. They seem to love anything that's any shape in water. My guess is the only thing that'll stop them from eating it is size. Its actually something I'm a bit worried about myself. The first pond I wanted to put them in, is the one I'm going to try to make sure they never go in. It has its own mini eco system which would be fine, except I think when they're bigger, they might eliminate the goldfish population we have going.. Unless they're too big, but I get the feeling w a little determination they'll succeed.

I'll introduce them to the lake first and hope that keeps them more interested.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by