What eats it way out of a live cage trap? Pic

Most likely a coon they are very smart critters and also have "hands" to do their dirty work, if they can find a weakness in a trap they will exploit it or at least try their darndest. I once watched a coon let itself out of my trap at 3am under my parents bird feeder, it was the older style without the spring loaded door, the door simply fell closed and 2 wire braces fell against it to hold it closed, the darn coon reached its arm out between the door and the side of the cage and with a few flips of the wrist it had the wire latch flipped up and was on the move. I didn't even have time to throw on a pair of pants and run outside to stop the escape, by the time I got there he was already gone.

I've had coons rip my traps to pieces, those little suckers are pretty darn strong! I've even caught some that have given escape a good go and severely injured themselves in the process (after I got a sturdier trap, that is).
Nikki

I have already caught 3 coons about a month ago but let them go a mile from my house. Any ideas on fixing cage or buying a better one. I got that one at TSC

I have already caught 3 coons about a month ago but let them go a mile from my house. Any ideas on fixing cage or buying a better one. I got that one at TSC
Hey I hate to be the barer of bad news but, you are probably catching the same raccoon over and over. A male raccoon can have a 10 mile area were he roams. And depending on your state laws but most places it is illegal to rehome raccoons. You are better off to trap and kill them. We caught 30 last summer in 3 months time. destroyed them all.

The trap should be easily fixable, it isn't broken on the functional area, you could just take a sturdy piece of wire mesh and buy a set of hog ring pliers and put it back together or just simply use some heavy wire and tie the patch in place. Looks like the trap was getting old and rusty anyways, they may break it again in a different spot. Buying a new one wouldn't be a bad idea they aren't that expensive and last a long time if taken care of, keep them clean and don't store them out in the weather and they last forever. Havahart brand is most popular around here, I have one with a door on only 1 end, sometimes I have to get creative to camo it well enough to lure a coon in, I have had better luck with the model with a door on each end, I think the coon can see through it and thinks its simply a hollow area he can run right through and is more willing to go in, but these are more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom