What eats rats whole but leave heads? and will it attack my chickens?

Mackie n chicks

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 22, 2013
Banffshire, Scotland
I live in Scotland UK, and recently new farm tenants next door yesterday burnt their field -there were a few rats in our garden yesterday because of this as I presume they were driven out of the field.
Problem is; as we were cleaning out the duck house we found 3 1/2 dead baby rats (one's body had been ate with no remains). There is only a small hole in the duck house which I presume where they came from. We put traps down last night to find a single rat head in one of the traps - again no body and no remains? I'm fearful it's either a rogue rat or even worse a ferret / weasel as the latter would definitely kill my chickens (which include small bantams) for fun. Has anyone got any opinions? Thanks.

The duck house was closed up due to rats from next door - as next door are ploughing fields so we're getting a few in. There was a small hole in the bottom that baby rats cold get in - didn't even think a large rat could get into it. A cat definitely couldn't get in there - it was all shut up.

I live in Scotland UK, and recently new farm tenants next door yesterday burnt their field -there were a few rats in our garden yesterday because of this as I presume they were driven out of the field.
Problem is; as we were cleaning out the duck house we found 3 1/2 dead baby rats (one's body had been ate with no remains). There is only a small hole in the duck house which I presume where they came from. We put traps down last night to find a single rat head in one of the traps - again no body and no remains? I'm fearful it's either a rogue rat or even worse a ferret / weasel as the latter would definitely kill my chickens (which include small bantams) for fun. Has anyone got any opinions? Thanks.
I'm leaning towards cat. I used to have a cat that killed rabbits, and not only would he not eat he head, he would leave them lined up on my doorstep as presents.

A full grown weasel can squeeze through a space smaller than a male rat can, oddly enough. I know a cage with 1" by 1/2" wire can hold most adult rat, but a weasel can go right through it like it's nothing. Had a friend who had one as a pet, it used to go through the ferret cages and harass her ferrets. Ferrets might be in the same family and larger but domestication has made them a whole lot more wimpy than a weasel.

Back
Top Bottom