What Egg Laying Breed do you Love the Best and Why?

TamTurkey

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 17, 2012
Texas
I am a meat poultry raiser and have decided to get 2-5 layers for eggs. They will be for my family's own consumption although I am sure I will have friends to give the excess to. I want to know from everyone here what breed you like and why. Do they lay sooner, lay better. Easy to maintain? Less noisy? If you like them because they are pretty that's a good reason too
lol.png

If you are looking for eggs laying capacity, it's hard to beat the hybrids. (black sex links, gold sex links) They are crosses designed for egg laying productivity.

I personally love my Barred Rocks. Beautiful birds and great layers of jumbo sized eggs.

WE GO THROUGH A DOZEN A WEEK SO NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL ON PRODUCTION. i LIVE IN A SUBDIVISION SO I CAN'T HAVE A NOISY ONE

When I was a kid we had Araucana chickens. I don't remember much about them except they were pretty and laid Easter eggs. We had a lot of them so we had to get the eggs every day before they started becoming chicks (it never failed when it was my siblings week we'd always end up with at least one that it was too late! Grrrr!

Back
Top Bottom