What else can i do to treat for worms?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Noobchick, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    Ive dosed my 6 chicks waterers with .25 o of Wazine. Im also going to give them egg yolks and yogurt daily.

What else can i do to help them recover and gain weight faster, if anything?

Thank you in advance for all your help and advice. I know ive posted a lot over the last two days. Theres so much i dont know and cant seem to find in books or on the internet.

2. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    I don't use chemicals for worming. I go the natural route. There are a few good things to use. One is diatamaceous earth. If you do get some make sure you get the food grade and not the pool grade stuff. You can just sprinkle it on there feed. Also garlic is a good one too. For the DE you can also use it to sprinkle down in there bedding helps get rid of mites and other bugs. I have also used the DE to dust my birds if I see they have lice or mites. If you do dust them be very careful not to get into there lungs. In other words don't dust them until you see a puff of dust. Hope this helps.

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I heard apple cider vinegar works too. I use that and the DE as a preventive.

4. SAHMof2

SAHMof2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Are there any clever ways to get Apple Cider Vinegar in them??

Also I've been told that the homeopathic remedy Cina works to treat worms.

5. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Quote:My suggestion would be to get a small syringe and do it that way. Otherwise put the ACV in there water. Just so you know best time to worm is during the full moon as worms are most active then. However if you plan on doing the syringe route you need to be really careful that the liquid does not go down there esophagus. I used to work w/ ostriches as chicks and sometime we had to tube feed them and we had to be careful when putting the tube down there throat it didn't go down the esophagus. I'm thinking your best bet is just put it in there water.

Didn't realize homeopathic Cina works. Will have to check that out.

6. SAHMof2

SAHMof2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    I will definatly do the water route although its vile tasting stuff and I can't even have it in water. Mine are somewhat tame but not that tame and I'm kinda scerd of their beaks.

I can't say for sure if Cina works but my gf who is a homeopath said to use it. Thanks for the full moon tip. [​IMG]

7. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    Any other replies for my original question?

8. Ginger57

Ginger57 New Egg

Jun 22, 2011
    Actually, you ACV and water to go down the esophagus, that leads to the stomach. It's the airway you want to avoid when syringing liquid down the throat.

9. emptynester

emptynester Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Beaufort, SC
    Red pepper flakes work for worms I have read.

10. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Quote:You might have to follow up with a 2nd dewormer also use cat food and yogurt to help. DE is not good as a preventive in treating worms it does not work when wet and the inside of a chickens guts is wet there fore, it will not work I use ACV in with my water 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. I would also ask the age of your chicks I waited until mine where older. Over 6 months. I am not sure if the natural wormers work I do know that if I see worms I want something to kill them now. I would do a search using the search in the blue bar at the top there are a lot of post about what and how much and when and how often to worm you chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by