What else can I feed turkeys in addition to commercial feed?

Arielle

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
I have searched many, many of the old posts looking for food options other than or in addition to commercially prepared feeds. Can anyone direct me some old posts?

Does anyone feed anything other than pasture, including alfalfa hay, and commercial feeds for their turkeys?????

TY

I feed mine the same basic stuff I feed the chickens, including certain table scraps if they're fresh enough -- lots of extra produce, such as lettuce, trimmings of cabbage, various leaves and stems at certain times of the year, windfall fruit, unwanted summer squash (they really go for those!), things like stale bread, cooked carrots and potatoes that didn't get eaten, stale popcorn (another favorite).

Quote:
I wonder what they do with all of the leftover popcorn at the movies.
idunno.gif

To Kuntrygirl who wrote: The only thing that I feed is feed from the store, fruits, vegetables and they free range.

WHen free ranging, any particular items they like other than the obvious, grasses? Seasonal items like acorns? I have a good number of garter snakes, mice and chipmunks that need to be kept in check . . . .will they help?

To Denninmi who wrote: I feed mine the same basic stuff I feed the chickens, including certain table scraps if they're fresh enough -- lots of extra produce, such as lettuce, trimmings of cabbage, various leaves and stems at certain times of the year, windfall fruit, unwanted summer squash (they really go for those!), things like stale bread, cooked carrots and potatoes that didn't get eaten, stale popcorn (another favorite).

Great list. Thank you for the detail. I've never seen stale popcorn at my house! Popular item!

Are there any forages worth planting or bushes for winter browse? I think that's what the wild turkeys eat. ANy thoughts on that?​

Quote:
WHen free ranging, any particular items they like other than the obvious, grasses? Seasonal items like acorns? I have a good number of garter snakes, mice and chipmunks that need to be kept in check . . . .will they help?

To Denninmi who wrote: I feed mine the same basic stuff I feed the chickens, including certain table scraps if they're fresh enough -- lots of extra produce, such as lettuce, trimmings of cabbage, various leaves and stems at certain times of the year, windfall fruit, unwanted summer squash (they really go for those!), things like stale bread, cooked carrots and potatoes that didn't get eaten, stale popcorn (another favorite).

Great list. Thank you for the detail. I've never seen stale popcorn at my house! Popular item!

Are there any forages worth planting or bushes for winter browse? I think that's what the wild turkeys eat. ANy thoughts on that?​

Well unfortunately, I have boring free rangers. All they eat is grass and bugs.

I don't have any flowers or anything like that. The only trees I have are pecan trees. So they don't get any other goodies. Sorry.
sad.png

Oh, I do give them cat food from time to time. They love cat food!

I give my free range turkeys corn, oats, wheat, BOSS, plus table scraps and old bread. I have one turkey hen that just loves it when olives fall from the olive trees and eats them all up. They all also were really into the bad cherries I gave them from our cherry tree...

Lots of great ideas!

Denninmi, thanks for the links--I printed the data. Very useful list of food stuffs and planting rates. My land actually abuts a state hunting preserve stocked with turkeys. Reading thru the two natural resource papers clearly reminded me of this land. And the patch we cleared for a garden this year was visited by a group of wild turkeys yesterday--DH chased them out of the garden! THe wild turkeys need grassy plots throughout their wooded territory. I guess my property is suitable for domestic turkeys with a little planning and planting!

2buckskins, good to know turkeys also like corn, oats and boss. Have lots for the chickens. Apparently they will eat any fruits available like the olives and cherries. We have lots of wild grapes and too many peaches to eat in late summer. Thanks for the tips.

Back
Top Bottom