what else can i give them

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by miron28, Dec 14, 2008.

1. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    i just got baby chicks, can i give them some thing else for treats or should i just give them the chick food and that it? should i put anything in there water maybe like sugar ?

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    For now I would stick to just the chick food !! When they get a tad bit older you can start with treats !! If they all look healthy and alert I dont think there is a huge need to put sugar in the water, people usally do that for shipped chicks that had a hard ride.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I wouldn't add sugar to their water unless you have some chicks that are struggling or weak.
    For the first week or two just concentrate on making sure they are eating their chick starter well and drinking plenty of fresh clean water.
    At around 2 weeks I started offering mine some finely chopped hard boiled egg and a little plain yogurt.
    It's best to keep the treat amounts small at first. They need the complete nutrition of their starter, but just like human peeps given the choice they'll go for the "junk food" first.

4. miron28

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    thanks sounds good. i got 3 that were a little week yesterday they are smaller then all the rest so i didn't know what i should do. but they look fine as of today. so we will see the guy said if i had any problems to let him know and he will replace them.

5. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    I like to feed my babies some meal worms...

Not only is it great protein it is a blast to watch them scramble around for them....

[​IMG]

6. miron28

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    were do you get meal worms? and how much do they cost?

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Any pet store should have them. Look for places that have reptiles. A lot of the stuff reptiles can eat, chickens can eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by