1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What else can I offer my sick chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Southern Gardener, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Southern Gardener

Southern Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    I believe she suffered heat stress yesterday - she is eating some mashed boiled eggs - what else might entice her to eat?

thanks.

2. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    I live in South Mississippi so I know about the heat. I have given mine cold watermelon on the really hot days. I also have given them cold veggies and fruit, almost frozen and they loved it. I also have put a bag of ice in my water to help them cool off. I hope this gives you some ideas and helps! Goos luck! [​IMG]

3. Southern Gardener

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    Thanks for responding! My chickens are miserable in this heat! I don't remember it being this bad last year.

I've put frozen bottles in the run and give them ice water. The hen that suffered stress yesterday is still inside - she seems to be doing better. Is cottage cheese good to give them?

I hate summer in the south! [​IMG]

4. hereachick

hereachick Out Of The Brooder

I use a light spray from the garden hose and will either spray them alittle with it or set up a sprinkler in a corner of their pen in addition to putting ice in their water bowls. They seem to love it on really hot days

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Freeze some watermelon cubes. That will hydrate them & cool them down.

6. Southern Gardener

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    Good idea on the watermelon! Going to get a mister also.

I'm going on vacation next week and I'm scared I'll come home to dead chickens! [​IMG] My parents will be taking care of them and they know how much I baby them!

7. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    If you can stand it, give her lots of grubs and bugs and worms! They are soft and delectable (to her, anyway)

8. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Hose them down with a light mist and if they get sick put Pedialite in the water.

9. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    try and get some commercial electrolytes..durvet is a good brand.

10. Southern Gardener

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the suggestions. She is much better today! I put her back in the coop this morning and she's eating and drinking! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by