What else is my Gold Wyandotte - and it is a girl, right??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wendyrun, Feb 20, 2011.

1. wendyrun

wendyrun Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    We got a gold laced wyandotte mix last weekend at the Hatch-a-holic swap [​IMG]
    She is so cute!! I feel like she is growing before our eyes!!

Ok here is my question - seller thought she was not a mix but when we got her out of the crate, we noticed she has feathered feet. She said that meant she was a cross with an EE not pure bred. I'm confused!! Do EE's have feathered feet? Or are foot feathers something present up to certain age and then go away?? Will the cross affect her laying potential or just mean eggs might be different color??

Also just please satisfy any lingering doubts - it's a girl right? I can't get a good picture of her b/c she is so fast. She runs like crazy when the Mean Girls are near and I can't coax her out from under the trees long enough to get a good shot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think she looks like a little hawk!

2. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Maybe she's crossed with Marans.

3. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    agree she looks beautiful

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    looks like a girl to me, but beyond that, I couldn't tell you what she's mixed with!

5. Ranger 45

Ranger 45 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2011
    Inman, SC
    Seems like a Roo to me. The Neck Feathers on a Roo are long and pointed, whick is what it seems like there. On a hen they are short and round. You should be able to tell with out a dought when it gets close to a year old because by the its comb will be huge if it is a roo and the neck lobes under its beak will be longer and more oval than a hen. Hope this helps.

6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    From what I can see it does look like a girl. The lacing on the neck feathers can make them look more pointy than they are. I have a GLW and yours does look similar. Yeah the leg feathering is not Wyandotte so she is a cross. EE's are just crosses themselves so it is possible that she could be from an EE with feathered legs and a GLW. If so, it is also possible she could lay green eggs. What type of comb does she have and how old is she?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  7. wendyrun

May 25, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    eek, I will be really in deep trouble if it's a roo....We have a 2 bird limit where I am, but I'm illegal for HMA, and roos are OFF LIMITS in city for sure. ugh.

She, I'll keep repeating it and cross fingers, is about 3 months old. Also seller said something about the shape of her back feathers when I asked her how she can tell it's a girl. I believe she also raises silkies and EE, but I can't remember. She said the eggs might be green b/c of the daddy.

8. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    That's definitely the lacing pattern of GL females. But can't help with the feathered shanks.

9. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Well if she has silkies that might be the reason for the feathered legs.Might be her EE's and Silkies mixed it up some and the resulting off spring looked more EE and then bred with a Wyandotte.

10. wendyrun

May 25, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Got her!!
    She decided to pose this morning when she hoped out, and a high perch was safe from Mean Girls.

[​IMG]

Here is best I can manage of her head - what to look for on the comb? there's not much there yet. And one of the girls pecked her head, so top was a little red the last week.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by