What else to do for a prolapse?

dpippitt2002

Hatching
Aug 20, 2022
Hello. I’ve had a hen with prolapse for about a week now. She’s in a quarantine cage in a low light basement and I’ve restricted her access to feed to discourage laying. I apply sugar on her prolapse every day to help shrink it as well as cortisone-10. I started giving her epsom salt baths yesterday. She’s able to pass droppings just fine although she gets them all over her bum. I’ve been treating her for about a week and there hasn’t been much improvement. She’s not getting worse but I am going to school in about six days and I’m worried if this doesn’t get resolved she will have to be euthanized as I know the constant exposed tissue and poopy but will lead to an infection eventually. Does anyone have any other tips to try and get it to stay in? It’s not a bad prolapse but I am at my wits end.

Has she stopped laying yet? If not, she needs to be in the dark for 16 hours a day. Not everyone tries to get the hen to completely stop laying, but it may help if laying is continuing and preventing the prolapse from getting better. I posted on your previous thread, and I would still keep trying to get her prolapse better and hopefully back inside. It can take a week or two for some to succeed with this. Have you been able to take any pictures of her prolapsed vent?

Has she stopped laying yet? If not, she needs to be in the dark for 16 hours a day. Not everyone tries to get the hen to completely stop laying, but it may help if laying is continuing and preventing the prolapse from getting better. I posted on your previous thread, and I would still keep trying to get her prolapse better and hopefully back inside. It can take a week or two for some to succeed with this. Have you been able to take any pictures of her prolapsed vent?
She is inside now. She passed one egg the first day but hasn't since. Luckily I am taking her to the vet tomorrow so hopefully, they can help her. :)

Back
Top Bottom