What else would you plant with strawberries to compliment them?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by stone_family3, Dec 14, 2012.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I'm using these beds which are 4'x4'. I'd like to keep it to maybe 3 plants per box. I'm in zone 5 for planting. Also could I do 2 or 3 different varieties of strawberries? I was thinking of doing Purple Wonder, Earliglow and White Pineberry.

[​IMG]

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I would do all the strawberries in one box.One thing I regret is trying to grow strawberries with other things.The strawberries are like a weed in their take over ability. I think I will be digging them out from my mixed beds and making a few strawberry only beds.

For the vining stuff all I can think of is grapes,but there might be other fruiting things you could plant.I do like the ground cherry.Gogi(sp) berries might work.

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Instead of the lines going up the back consider some wire fencing.

4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks for the advise, I read somewhere that planting a few complimenting plants can help keep soil balance and they help each other out. After some research last night it seems that pole beans and borage are the plants to go with.

So I was thinking of doing this set up

[​IMG]

5. coopscritters

coopscritters Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2013
    N.B.Can
    Good choice, borage will add potassium and calcium. you have to dig up the strawberries after a couple of years and replace the plants. This should give enough rotation. My borage tends to travel. It's not a problem plant but sometimes it's discouraging to find it in someone elses bed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by