What exactly is a Sex-Link???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 4HillsSumatras, Sep 13, 2009.

1. 4HillsSumatras

4HillsSumatras Chillin' With My Peeps

We have breed and raised our Sumatras for 4 years now. 2 months ago I purchaced 6 Red Sex-links just for egg production. They are very tame and lay great Lg. Brown eggs. I cannot however can not find sexlinks in our books. As I read some of the posts here I think that these Sexlinks are mix-breeds. Any help would be greatly appreciated.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  2. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    yepp, mixed breeds [​IMG] They are normally a white rooster over a red hen (i think its that way around) which produces chicks that are 2 different colours, Boys will be white, and girls will be red. Save time and energy (and money) wondering whether your raising boys or girls [​IMG]

Thats not the only kind of sex-links you can get, but its the basic idea.

3. 4HillsSumatras

So if I put a LF roo on one of them will I still keep the egg production? Want to hatch some of them for more eggs. [​IMG]

4. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    not a clue :p, sorry

I think they will, but I'm pretty sure you cant use a sex-linked hen to hatch more sex-linked babies.. the linkedness only lasts one generation, I think :p

sorry, you've overtaxed my knowledge :p

5. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

As I read some of the posts here I think that these Sexlinks are mix-breeds.

A sex link is a cross using genes on the Z sex chromosome. The dominant gene needs to be carried by the female & the male needs to have only the recessive gene. The females of sex linked crosses are visually discernable from the males at hatch.

Genes most often used for sex links are:
    not barred/barred; such as RIR X Barred Rock

gold/silver; such as RIR X Light Sussex

rapid feathering/late feathering; such as white leghorn X Light Sussex​

6. 4HillsSumatras

Quote:A sex link is a cross using genes on the Z sex chromosome. The dominant gene needs to be carried by the female & the male needs to have only the recessive gene. The females of sex linked crosses are visually discernable from the males at hatch.

Genes most often used for sex links are:
    not barred/barred; such as RIR X Barred Rock

gold/silver; such as RIR X Light Sussex

rapid feathering/late feathering; such as white leghorn X Light Sussex

So the Red sexlinks I have now are only good for egg production? Will I be able to raise more great egg layers if I but a RIR roo back on them? The sexing trait will not pass to there chicks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by