What exactly is this "egg song" everyone is talking about?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ZaneyMama, Jun 25, 2010.

1. ZaneyMama

ZaneyMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hmm?

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Its the clucking that hens do after they lay an egg. Usually sounds something like this" Bok bok BOK bok BOK bok bok bok Bok BOK" (repeat as many times as necessary - some hens believe that the world will stop turning if everyone on it does not know that she just laid an egg)

3. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Goes somethin' like this-

baaaahhk, baaaaahhhk, BAaaaaaahhk, BAAAAAAHHHHHHKK, BAAAAAAHHHKK, BAAAAAAAHHHHHKKK, BAAaaahhhkk, baaaaahhkk!!!! (can go on for awhile)

Translation- "Oooooooh, I think I'm gonna lay an egg, yup, here it comes, OW! OW! OW!, ow, ow, ok, its over- Hey everyone, guess what I did??!?!?!?!!"

4. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    It sounds a lot like an alarm call. can't tell you how many times I ran out to the coop to chase off an intruder, only to have the hens look at me like,
    'what's your problem?'

5. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    It's like Bok! Bok! Bok! Ba-gawk! Over and over again. Sometimes it is done in anticipation of egg laying, and sometimes to announce that an egg has been laid. It is quite loud and repetitive, and just like people, there are some singers that have a prettier voice than others.[​IMG]

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Yes, one of my hens does the egg song and three roos join in...........................they must ALL think that they fertilised the egg! What a noise, MUCH louder than crowing,

Sandie

7. Willowbrook

Willowbrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    western PA
    If I laid an egg, I would do more than sing! That's something to be proud of!!!

8. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Dora'smom :

It's like Bok! Bok! Bok! Ba-gawk! Over and over again. Sometimes it is done in anticipation of egg laying, and sometimes to announce that an egg has been laid. It is quite loud and repetitive, and just like people, there are some singers that have a prettier voice than others.[​IMG]

We have even been known to call eggs "ba-gawks" around here (note to self, spending too much time with the chickens!) I've had roos that got into it much more than the hens did. The girls look at them like, "Typical. I do all the work and you want the praise!"​

9. dtchick

dtchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2009
    One of my girls can sing the egg song for a good twenty minutes after she lays. My kids call it the "Mandy Alarm" because it usually happens early a.m. and wakes them all up!

10. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Quote:You'd be a medical miracle! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by