What Exotic Rare chick do I have?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jssbcause, Nov 29, 2010.

1. jssbcause

jssbcause New Egg

Nov 29, 2010
    Hi, new to the forum. Great information here. I look forward to the feedback.

Okay, I ordered 25 New Hamp Red's from McMurray, and got the extra "Rare Exotic" thrown in. I have looked at all my picture books and can not make out what i may have. I have ideas, but the black legs are throwing me off.

details i know... 3 weeks old today. black clean legs, black tip beak, and an interesting wild bird kind of peep. Rich red coloring, with black, and then white tiped feathers.

The picture is from today. i have more photo's if they will help.

[​IMG]

Thank you for the help!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  2. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

I was going to say speckled sussex till I read black legs... Maybe an EE?

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Easter Egger. The most commonly shipped "rare and exotic." . . . . Even though it's a mutt.

Usually they're extra males, but so far the color says female. [​IMG] Course, it could just be your camera. . . If in real life it looks to be getting some rich, deep red on it - It's a male.

Also, just a little bit of info - New Hampshires are not called New Hampshire Reds. That's a name hatcheries seem to have developed in confusion that they're the same thing or near the same as Rhode Island Reds. Sadly, both New Hampshires and Rhode Island Reds though have been bred to the point by hatcheries that they both look the same.

4. jssbcause

jssbcause New Egg

Nov 29, 2010
    Thanks for the quick responce, I will get to wait and see. I will post more pics as he/she gets older. Head shot, side, top, etc... With the camera Santa brings me [​IMG]

(hint, hint, santa...)

5. KateBeauchemin

KateBeauchemin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    I had this happen when I went to get chicks out of 'rare exotic' bin.

I'd wait and see what comb looks like... Can't see puffy cheeks? Or comb?

Go to mcmurray website, to rare section.

I googled pics of their rare birds as chicks. That might help.

I'm at a loss (without doing so searching)

I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks, i love mystery chicks!!!

Coloring looks like my dark cornish... but... not legs.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  6. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I don't see a fluffy face that would indicate an EE - I'm going to guess she's a Golden Campine (dark, slate legs at just a few weeks old) or possibly Golden Spangled Hamburg (not sure when the legs darken). Watch her comb and ear color - a Golden Campine will have a straight comb and I believe a Golden Spangled Hamburg will have a Rose comb.
    Both will have white ear lobes. If she does end up being an EE after all, she'll have red earlobes and a pea comb.

7. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

I got two McMurray EEs and only one had puffy cheeks. Both had the greenish legs though, but it developed gradually starting at a blackish color.

8. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Ee

9. chicken wild

chicken wild Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Franklin Ga
    Ee

10. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009