What extra thermometer and humidity read out to by to confirm your hatcher temps

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by moving coops, Jan 11, 2017.

1. moving coops

moving coops Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2017
    Okay so last year my sportsmen were ready right temp and humidity but had major problem with hatches. Stuck just a low grade temp and humidity ready I there from our house and it was way high.

What ones do you use to confirm your temps and humidity that is accurate. Do you have multiple ones or prob type that you just stick through holes and quick read! I just here cheap ones being super inaccurate but then do have expensive ones. I have two sportsman incubators which I found bottom is way different than top of incubator (which I am not sure how to play with). And two RComs.

Also I found if I put my sportsmans at what they recommend it was way to high!!

2. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    I don't worry about humidity much. way to variable for me to keep up with.

For temps to check incubator setting I use a brinsea spot check.

3. moving coops

Jan 5, 2017
    Well last year the humidity was way higher than reading on incubator and drowned sticky chicks!

Humidity was so high last year in the air. Something we never get!

You like the Brinsea better than any cheap ones. Do you get more than on so you can leave I the incubator or hatcher at times!

4. feedman77

Jun 10, 2013
    I just use it for temp checks on everything.

I don't worry about humidity much as I dry incubate.

5. moving coops

Jan 5, 2017
    So no humidity as all during incubation then all sudden lots humidity for hatching? What are your results and when do you turn up?

See last year before humidity outside sky ticketed I had hatches where in the same batch eggs that did not hatch showed some to much humidity and some not enough which make no sense! Hard to evaluate when you get both!

6. feedman77

Jun 10, 2013
    nope no water during incubation.

just whatever moisture is in the air. if it goes below 20 which is rare. then I might add a little bit of water.

on lockdown day jump humidity to 70 to 80 percent.

my hatch rate went up after I started dry incubating.

but I guess i better add I don't hatch in my cabinet. I have styros that I hatch in.

7. moving coops

Jan 5, 2017
    I don't hatch inn my sportsman or Rcom incubators either. Learnt that after first year.

I have to specific multilevel sportsman hatchers that I hatch in!

I should have an RCom hatcher as well but got ripped off. It was a Lot of money and ordered it last year and so it has almost been a year and still have not seen it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by