What Feed can I use for a mixed flock?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kealoni, Jan 3, 2017.

1. kealoni

kealoni Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2016
    What feed do I feed for a mixed age flock?because we have younge chickens and old chickens and roosters that don't need the extra calcium as it can cause damage over time to there. body.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would probably feed a chick starter/grower feed or gamebird grower feed to the whole flock. I would also offer free-choice crushed oystershell, so that any laying hens can obtain enough calcium for strong egg shells.

1 person likes this.
  3. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

X2 - I feed a mixed-age flock (fermented) chick starter with free choice oyster shell and grit. I've noticed an improvement in shell quality compared to when I fed dry layer feed...and the flock is very healthy.

4. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Purina makes a feed called Flock Raiser. The birds seem to like it real well, and it's 20 percent protein. They have free access to oyster shell, which is in a cup hanging in the coop. I believe it comes in either crumble or pellets. I use pellets, but if I had chicks to feed, I'd feed the crumble until they were big enough to deal with pellets.

5. kealoni

Dec 14, 2016
    We have fed that purine flock raiser but it was more money.can I just feed grower and feed them oyster shell and sun flower seeds for protein and calcium.

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Sunflower seeds are more fat than protein. Oyster shell is a very good calcium source. Growing/developing chicks need a feed with at least 18% protein.

7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Yes, yes you can use oyster shell free choice. Sunflower seed is only 14% protein and very high in fat- pushing 30%, it's best used in moderation. I feed non medicated chick starter to entire flock until youngest birds are old enough for pellets then use turkey/gamebird finisher. Both feeds are 20% protein and only difference is form of feed, crumble or pellet.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  8. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I feed an All Flock, if I'm raising chicks in the flock they get a non medicated grower. There's always a separate bowl of oyster shells.

Chickens go crazy over sunflower seeds, but they can cause internal fat which can be deadly and causes things like prolapse. So I agree it should be used in moderation. Fat birds are often dead birds.

9. kealoni

Dec 14, 2016
    Ok thanks.is grower same as grower/finisher?

10. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Probably, check the protein content, it should be around 18-20%.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by