1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Feed do you use and Where do you get it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leasmom, Mar 1, 2009.

1. leasmom

leasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    I think I'm having chicken envy or something...but every time I go and see someone elses chickens they are much larger than mine and I am thinking...what are you feeding them? Now I buy a regular non-medicated feed at my local feed store and they have Armada Brand feed with 18% crude protein. I just bought 7 HUGE hens from a guy that goes to Tractor Supply and uses Dumor brand.

So my question is...what do you use? Where do you get it? Online, local store, tractor supply, local Grainery, organic stores etc. This may help some of us who may be looking for another option.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I use Purinea Layena Feed.

Edit to add: I tried to switch one time to a cheaper feed and they gobbled it up like it was air. The feed might have been cheaper but they were eating it faster and I don't think absorbing as much nutrients so I switched back and they are much happier for it. [​IMG]

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    We use either Dumor brand from TSC or Buckeye from the local feedstore. Haven't really noticed a difference between the two, other than the price (TSC is cheaper).

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I go to the local co-op and have my feed made.

5. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    Wow, really what is in the mix?

The Purina Layena, it has more natural greens mixed in from what I read. Mine has more animal protein, I think. My birds are healthy but leaner when you compare them to others. Is that a good thing though?

6. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    We purchase ours from a local milling company that makes their own feed and our chickens like it. I was using Layena but it became to be to expensive. I can buy 2 bags from the milling co. for the same price as one Layena.

7. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

We feed and sell the Homestead line of All-Natural Poultry Feeds from Hubbard Feeds.

Jim

8. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    16% layer pellets and 14% sow feed.

9. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    this is the chick feed

the feed I have made has:

Pro Leader
    CPC
    Poultry supplement
    corn
    wheat

Its quite a bite less expensive than pre-made plus its fresh and helps the local farmers

I'm redoing my layer feed, It used to be corn, poultry supp. and calcium

10. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    Really. Thats like a guy I was talking too that told me what I was paying for feed, around $12 was very expensive. He said grainerys were cheaper but I don't know where to go in my area.

Buck Creek, whats Pro Leader & CPC?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by