What feed should I buy for my chickens?

pdaniels2002

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2017
It's my first time having chickens and I'm not sure what time of feed to buy. I'm wanting to have eggs and meat. What do you recommend for best feed for my chickens?

welcome-byc.gif
Are you starting with chicks, pullets, hens, meat birds? More info needed! Have you been to the learning center? Tons of info there.

Don't rely on information from feed store employees. They aren't necessarily experts.
What you can rely on is the information on the back of the feed bag and on the ingredient list.
Go to the feed store and read the feeding instructions on the bag for the age and type of chickens you are getting.
Most manufacturers do a good job of providing optimal nutrition for the age and type of chicken it was formulated to feed.

I'm getting Australop chicks, 10 hens and 2 rooster. I'm wanting to have eggs and meat from them. I've read lot of info from the learning center. But that was one question that I couldn't find since I'm using them for dual purpose.

Any starter or start and grow feed will be fine for now. 18-20% protein. By the time they're 12 weeks you can cut back on the protein a bit to 15-18% range.
Don't start layer feed (4% calcium) till they're laying. Better yet, since you have roosters, provide an All Flock or grower feed when they start laying and provide crushed oyster shell in a separate container for calcium for the hens.

Baby chicks grow fast and need more protein. As they reach full size, they need less. Excess protein for older birds has to be processed by the liver and is discarded turning into ammonia in the bedding. Adult roosters need very little protein. 13-15%. Hens in production need a little more because they're pumping out a lump of protein every day.

Starter feed is crumbled finer because baby chicks have smaller mouths, esophagus and crops. Grower and all flock feeds are larger particle.

Back
Top Bottom