What feed to feed my hens?

Blesser

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 1, 2010
I currently have 5 red sex hens (had seven only a month ago). I am so sad about the two that died and I think both died from egg yolk peritonitis which is incurable and prone to these type of hens. They are 2 years 10 months old. I am lucky to get 2 eggs a week from them. I have been feeding them Purina Layena Feed for years now. Here is a link to the product- http://poultry.purinamills.com/OURPRODUCTS/Products/Layena/default.aspx

notice the protein and calcium is 16%. When I do get my 2 eggs a week, the shells are weak. I do offer free choice oyster shell but never see them eating any of it(or maybe a few are and I'm not see it), I also offer free choice grit and I see them eating that occasionally. I don't know who or how many of my hens is/are laying the eggs so will try to keep an eye open.

Should I change the feed? What percentage protein and calcium should I feed these hens? Thanks. I have a Tractor Supply store nearby.

Last edited:
The Red Sex link is bred differently, by dozens and dozens of hatcheries. These hybrids are used widely in the brown egg laying industry. There is no ONE, single RSL, so generalities are suspect. However, I believe most retail outlets are selling off excess chicks as product intended primarily for the laying houses.

Thus, the genetics of a Bovan, Hy-Sex, Hubbard, ISA, etc, tend toward fast, early and heavy production for just a few years. The commercial houses flip their flocks annually or less commonly, bi-annually. Two laying seasons is just about as far as it goes in the industry. The hens are rather spent and often get sold off for soup or cat food.

All that to say that your RSLs, being almost 3 years old, right? The genetics simply aren't intended for a marathon runner, more like a 100 meter sprint.

Last edited:
My oldest sex-links are not the layers that they once were, but then no hen is as she ages. A poorly bred hen may lay poorly from the get-go. A well bred hen will lay well for a couple of years, but no matter what you're going to gradually get fewer eggs with every lay cycle, typically you lose about 20% of the previous year's production. My oldest sex-links are now about five years old and they do still lay. Not a lot, but they are laying.

But there is more to this equation than merely breeding. Feed, management, and disease factor into this as well. Feed you can do something about to a degree at least depending on what is available in your area. Disease is only somewhat under our control. We can practice good bio-security but if you're not raising them in a closed barn it only takes you so far.

Your biggest problem is that your birds are now of an age that they simply are not going to lay enough eggs to be worth their feed. Some folks care about that, others do not. Younger hens will help a lot if production is a major concern.

You can try a different feed though Layena is pretty good. If you do want to try another brand look for one that has at least some animal based protein in it as the Purina product does not. The total protein of a feed does not tell the whole story. The quality (digestibility) of the protein matters as well. It may be that the present formulation of Layena (it changes from time to time) may not be as digestible as it could be. It may not make any difference to change the feed, but since your production is poor already you could give it a try.

The egg shell weakness is likely mostly a matter of age. It's not that they don't have enough calcium available it is that they are not utilizing it well. You can try supplementing small doses of vitamin D (cod liver oil, etc) to see if it helps. Making sure the birds have access to plenty of sunlight could help as well if they are in a shaded run.

If you're using plastic waterers you might also try adding three tablespoons of vinegar to every gallon of their drinking water. This can sometimes improve calcium absorption especially in hot weather.

Beyond that I don't thin there is much you're going to be able to do to improve matters except for getting newer hens.

I agree with the above... your hens are spent. I replaced 5 hens over the winter who were almost 3 years old. All my new hens are now producing good hard-shelled eggs on Purina Layena.

Thank you all, that was really helpful. I already give them organic apple cider vinegar in their water but will check into the vitamin D. I just don't want any eggs breaking inside of them due to weak shells. I really don't care about how many eggs I get from them, I would actually be happier if they all quit laying so I wouldn't have to worry about any egg related health problems. I want to keep them and have then die naturally of old age. I was thinking about switching their feed due to the two deaths, not sure if it is related to food but who knows? What brand would you recommend to slow down egg production?

The Red Sex link is bred differently, by dozens and dozens of hatcheries. These hybrids are used widely in the brown egg laying industry. There is no ONE, single RSL, so generalities are suspect. However, I believe most retail outlets are selling off excess chicks as product intended primarily for the laying houses.

Thus, the genetics of a Bovan, Hy-Sex, Hubbard, ISA, etc, tend toward fast, early and heavy production for just a few years. The commercial houses flip their flocks annually or less commonly, bi-annually. Two laying seasons is just about as far as it goes in the industry. The hens are rather spent and often get sold off for soup or cat food.

All that to say that your RSLs, being almost 3 years old, right? The genetics simply aren't intended for a marathon runner, more like a 100 meter sprint.

I think my hens had two laying seasons after that they stopped high production. They stopped around last June. I've read where high production birds are prone to internal laying and other reproductive malfunctions so I want to feed them something that will not encourage laying yet give them the nutrients and vitamins that are essential to their health.

Last edited:
Well, you can't really stop laying, as such. Nature takes it course. We've got a few ISAs that are healthy as can be in their third year.
Feed them a balanced 16-18% Grower and see how it goes. Offer shells on the side. Their bodies will tell them to take up calcium, if they need it. I don't think you can control all this through diet alone. Even 4 year old birds lay and preventing prolapse of internal laying through diet doesn't sound plausible. More research perhaps.

Back
Top Bottom