What feed & water do you start your chicks on?

kycowgirlchick

Songster
11 Years
Nov 2, 2008
Eubank ky, near Somerset
I now use medicated feed. At 1st I was using a chick starter from Tractor Supply but I dont think it is medicated because it can be used for quail. The last bunch of hatchlings I gave them a nutrional supplement water. And I have started giving them chick grit in their feed.
I have been told to only give them sugar water for the 1st 48 hours to give them energy. I have yet to have a new batch to try that. I have only been hatching out babies for about 4 months and have learned some things. But I would like to know what exactly everyone else does. I still occassionally loose 1 here and there even though they are 2 months old.
Give me the gory details of how/what you do.

Sounds like you've got the basics downpat. The only thing I could suggest is SUNSHINE!
wee.gif

I use Dumor from TSC and I'm nearly positive it's not medicated. In the past I've used electrolytes in chicks water starting on the 2nd day of life, but I honestly found it a sticky waste of my time for healthy chicks.
Now for a chick that is down or not doing well, I'll do sugar water. But the rest of them get good ol tap water.
smile.png

Last edited:
I'm still a newbie, but it sounds like you are doing everything right. I'm sure you already know that it is totally normal to loose a few new chicks now and then, I don't think that it has anything to do with what you are doing. Keep up the good work!

I have used Purina Sunfresh Unmedicated Start and Grow from day one, I had my chicks vaccinated at the hatchery before delivery so I don't need the medicated feed. My chicks are healthy 15 week olds now and they seem to really thrive on the Purina. My more experienced "chicken farmer" friends all comment about how calm, friendly, beautiful and healthy looking my girls are. I do wish the Purina Start and Grow had higher than 18% protein content, but periodically I supplement with high protein treats like nuts, seeds and avacado's so that helps. I will switch them to the Purina Layer Feed (Layena) when they begin to lay. I also liked the powdered electrolyte/vitamin mix that I ordered from MM. I gave it daily for about 2 weeks after delivery and now once a week or so. Good luck to you and yours.

Sometime I just wonder if I am doing too much. But I was also told what they need passes through.
I guess it is natural to loose some, but sometimes it seems like I loose way too many.
I just would like to hear what others do.

the main reason I have lost chicks is due to a slight draft that makes them paste up. I brood in an old barn in -30 outside. the best book to read bout brooding chicks is called "success with baby chicks" This guy is the guru on brooding. I follow his book word for word and have lost very few from each hatch.

If the chicks dont hatch right I dont help them. they are weak and will not make good breed stock.

I have 4 of the brooder boxes this guy describes and brood 300 chicks at atime and have maybe one or two losses.
hope this helps

I feed gamebird starter exclusively to chicks and poults. It is medicated. Healthy, normal unstressed chicks rarely need sugar water.

I used to feed chick starter but they feather faster and grow quicker on the gamebird feed and since I raise both I use it exclusively.

I haven't lost a single chick or poult to coccidia.

Vaccinations do NOT affect whether a chick will get coccidia.

Coccidiastats in chick feed do NOT prevent the disease, it limits its expression - making it a small enough bacterial load for a chick to develop normal immunity to and survive. They have to develop an immunity to it by growing the appropriate gut flora or they will die.

I do use an electrolyte additive for stressed (shipped, chilled, injured weak) chicks or poults. I will use poly-vi-sol no iron, for weak chicks. No iron is important, iron levels in vitamins for infants are lethal heavy-metal levels to a tiny chick.

I use karo (digests more easily) or agave syrup (decreased glycemic response) to give energy to a very ill animal. Not sugar - yes - despite its common use it can cause diarrhea and pasting and is more difficult than either of the above to break down and never, ever raw honey (contains bacteria lethal for some infant animals, including human infants and toddlers).

I just use the purina medicated and regular tap water....i have a electrolyte pack from when i had a sick duck but i dont give it to chicks usually

Back
Top Bottom