What fencing/netting is best?

Cheyenne2929

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 24, 2012
I am looking on http://www.southernstates.com/catalog/c-1578-fences-netting.aspx for hardware cloth and fencing for my coop and run. I know that I will use hardware cloth for my vents in my coop just not sure what gage. I am also converting a 10x10 chainlink dog run into a portable run for my chickens (they will also be allowed some supervise free ranging). I def want tighter weave wire for the bottom 1/2 at least of the run, no chickens out and no larger critters in. I plan on the hens being in the coop at night to keep them safe from predators and being in the run or coop durring the day. I dont think I need overkill as most predators will not try to harass them much during the day. is 1/2 way up the chainlink with tighter fencing ok? I will do an apron along the bottom too just to discourage anything trying to dig in. I will be doing aviary netting or something similar on the top of the fence to keep out our resident hawks. I even thought about doing wire all along the bottom of the run, but think that might be unnecessary and hinder the hens scratching ability. What are yalls thoughts?

I would consider going to a heavier gage wire. If you have raccoons around at night chicken wire will not keep them out. I personally like 2"x4" 12 ga. mesh for predator guards. One question. How are you going to make the 10"x10" dog run portable?

The dog fence is free standing..Will be a 2 person job but will just pick up and move. The chickens will not be in the run at night. They will be safe and secure in their coop with the hardware cloth. Just trying to figure out what gage to get as there are all different sizes apparently? does a bigger gage mean smaller holes, or bigger wire or what?? I wish there was a store around here where I could actually see waht I am talking about, but most stores keep the fencing stuff hidden.
So should I go all the way up the chainlink with some wire w/ smaller holes, or do you think 1/2 way or so would deter most things that might bother the chickies during the day? And what about wire along the bottom of the run? yes? No? As they will not be out overnight I guess I would not have to worry much about things digging in, or out.

I use a dog kennel for a run also. I don't use anything along the bottom. The only time this was ever a problem is when I had a hen with chicks and the chicks could squeeze outside the run. I do put deer netting across the top to keep hawks out. My chickens are not out in the run overnight. The kennel is up against the coop and the pop door opens into it, also I have an automatic door opener on the pop door. Here's a picture after an ice storm, (which did a number on my netting). I open the kennel door to let them free range and then shut the kennel door at night. They're already safe inside for the night with the pop door closed when I shut the kennel.

The dog fence is free standing..Will be a 2 person job but will just pick up and move. The chickens will not be in the run at night. They will be safe and secure in their coop with the hardware cloth. Just trying to figure out what gage to get as there are all different sizes apparently? does a bigger gage mean smaller holes, or bigger wire or what?? I wish there was a store around here where I could actually see waht I am talking about, but most stores keep the fencing stuff hidden.
The gage (gauge?) of the wire is the diameter of the wire. The smaller the gage the larger the wire.

So should I go all the way up the chainlink with some wire w/ smaller holes, or do you think 1/2 way or so would deter most things that might bother the chickies during the day? And what about wire along the bottom of the run? yes? No? As they will not be out overnight I guess I would not have to worry much about things digging in, or out.
You would be surprised what will try and get into a run of chickens and it will happen when you're not there
If the chainlink spaces are around 2" square, then you are fine. To secure around the bottom of your run, use a 12 gage fencing that you attach to the bottom of the of the run. Let these lay on the ground coming out from you run as predator guards. Predators have a hard time figuring out how to dig under this kind of setup. When you move the run you can pick up the predator guards and clip them to the chainlink for moving. When you're finished moving lay the predator guards down again and you will always have the bottom of your run protected. Now what about the top?
Do you have any picture you could post?

Thank you for explaining gauge to me! I thought it was the diameter of the holes in the fence! I think what I planned for the bottom of the run is what you are explaining. Like a skirt that lays along the ground to discourage digging. I had planned to stake the wire to the ground with tent stakes just to ensure it didnt rise up. I plan on moving this run probably once a week. I like the idea of clipping the guards to the fence while moving. Would not have thought of that. I do not have any pictures right now. But the "kennel" is similar to the one in the picture above. I know I will have to do something wiht the top, if nothing else but to protect my girls from the resident hawk family. Was thinking just regular chicken wire, or something similar to aviary netting. Part of the run will be shaded, probably with a tarp. Will I have to worry about predators going over the top, esp in daytime?

I would consider going to a heavier gage wire. If you have raccoons around at night chicken wire will not keep them out. I personally like 2"x4" 12 ga. mesh for predator guards. One question. How are you going to make the 10"x10" dog run portable?

Does the 2x4 welded wire fencing keep Raccoons out? What about fox and other predators??? I wanted to use Hardware cloth for our run and make sure that the run was predator proof both night and day and then we could leave the pop door open at night during good weather. However, we are quickly seeing that the cost of hardware cloth is much too high for the size of the run we need to do.

Would the 2x4 welded wire be able to turn away most predators? I'm in Iowa.

THANKS!!!

We just pick it up and move it. We had a goat in it and moved her around the barn to let her munch on weeds and such. It is def a 2 person job, but doable. So do you think I need something heavier than chicken wire for the top of the run even if its only used during the day?

Last edited:
I talked to our neighbor who has 3 chickens yesterday. She said the fox were pretty bad around here. I have never seen a fox, but we have lots of dogs that do help keep the furries away. I am sure they will be drawn by the hens.

Back
Top Bottom