What Floor to use?

JaseJess

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2019
San Antonio
Looking for some advice on what floor to put down in our coop. We have a 9×9 floor. Any thoughts on linoleum or black jack rubber roof seal? My coop is approximately 36 inches off the ground and the sub floor is 3/4 plywood.

Attachments

• 20190723_180810.jpg
    20190723_180810.jpg
    752.5 KB · Views: 22
:welcome

I have not used blackjack I have used linoleum.
I actually prefer having the floor painted. I used porch and floor paint in my current coops and so far (5 years) it is holding up even better than I had thought it would. Zero chipping or peeling and poops that make it past the shavings scrape right off.

Can I ask a question about your coop?

I see it has a metal roof and the edges have been spray foamed.....Do you have any ventilation to keep it from becoming an oven in there?
:oops:

I'm almost done with these two vent doors. Just secured the hardware cloth today. I sprayed the foam sealer along edge of the metal roof to keep bugs out.

I have not used blackjack I have used linoleum.
I actually prefer having the floor painted. I used porch and floor paint in my current coops and so far (5 years) it is holding up even better than I had thought it would. Zero chipping or peeling and poops that make it past the shavings scrape right off.

Can I ask a question about your coop?

I see it has a metal roof and the edges have been spray foamed.....Do you have any ventilation to keep it from becoming an oven in there?
:oops:

Attachments

• 20190723_180755.jpg
    20190723_180755.jpg
    786.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20190723_180745.jpg
    20190723_180745.jpg
    949.2 KB · Views: 21

I used Black Jack 57, it holds up good and not affected if you need to scrape anything off the floor when cleaning the coop out.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/black-jack-rubr-coat-57-for-your-coop-floor.75145/

If I were you, I would get some ventilation up higher so the hot Texas heat can escape. Maybe a couple of top hinged windows. They will serve two purposes, more light in the coop and ventilation. Also top hinged windows can be left open in the rain.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/window-support-for-top-hinged-windows.74810/

I used Black Jack 57, it holds up good and not affected if you need to scrape anything off the floor when cleaning the coop out.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/black-jack-rubr-coat-57-for-your-coop-floor.75145/

If I were you, I would get some ventilation up higher so the hot Texas heat can escape. Maybe a couple of top hinged windows. They will serve two purposes, more light in the coop and ventilation. Also top hinged windows can be left open in the rain.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/window-support-for-top-hinged-windows.74810/

Didn't think about that...yes I have noticed when standing in the inside, it's hot as a mofo in there...most definitely will add that to the list. What is your thoughts of adding an exhaust fan?

I used a single sheet of heavy duty foam backed vinyl on my floor,
I shopped hard for it, none of that thin paper backed stuff that cracks when you bend a corner would have held up for long.
Used the same stuff to line my poop boards, after 5-6 years I am still happy with it.

I used floor/deck paint on my 3/4" plywood floor and then use pine shavings on top of that. Blackjack 57 is good stuff, but I don't see the need (or the expense) for it.

I am not sure one can stand up to the amount of dust chickens create.

Adding awning style windows really does help.

For your climate I would add as many as possible.

You don't have to use plexiglass. I ran out of the stuff I was using to let light in so I used the pieces I cut out and added a 1x3 frame.

IMG_20180412_071814.jpg

9BA1291E-417F-4108-8C3B-120021E636F4.jpeg
I bought a couple of vinyl flooring remnants at HD at $.24/ft and ran it up the walls past the poop boards. Also lined the poop boards with it. Should be very easy clean out when the time comes!
And the windows were $3/ and are hinged at the top with hardware cloth screens.

Attachments

• CD5500E1-C86D-4AD7-A1CD-B26AAFCD34FF.jpeg
    CD5500E1-C86D-4AD7-A1CD-B26AAFCD34FF.jpeg
    546.2 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom